300 Win Mag question

wvhunter

Reaction score
I won a Ruger 77 in 300 Win Mag a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if any of you all used a 300 on deer.  I have always used a 308 or 270 and don't really know much about the 300.  Does a 300 tear the meat up very bad.  Any info is appreaciated.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've been using a 300 on pig and deer.  I am shooting blacktail, a bit smaller than whitetail.  There will be more damage, but I think you can minimize it by choosing right bullet and good shot placement (heart lung).  I use Power Point bullets from winchester, good expansion, not bad on damage.  I've heard that Silver tips are very destructive so stay away from them,  Failsafe ammo is good, but there is a good chance expansion will not be as good on thin skin game, which of course could minimize damage but maybe at a cost of losing an animal.  I have no experience with failsafe, but am planning on using it on an upcoming Elk hunt.  Currently, I use 150 gr.  Power Points for all game in CA, no problemsthus far.

doccherry

Reaction score
I use the FailSafe on both pigs and deer and it's been great.  For deer, I'm shooting a 7/08 and the FailSafe gives me my best accuracy and clean, one-shot kills.  On pigs I use the 300 Win Mag or the 7/08 with FailSafes and all kills have been one shot.  I took one deer with a 300 Win Mag FailSafe and it did quite a bit of damage, but it was all in the heart area and the deer just dropped.  What I like about the FailSafe, whether for deer or pig, is that it doesn't break apart or blow up.  If you're planning to use the 300 Win Mag for deer, you'll have no problem at all if you keep your shot behind the shoulder, back in the lung area.  The bullet will mushroom out, not fall apart, and pass cleanly through the deer.  All in all, though, if you do have a .308 or .270, they are probably better bets than the 300 for deer.  If pigs are in the area you're hunting, or bears, you may wish you had the 300.  But regarding FailSafes, I handload Barnes X, Nosler Partitions, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Spear, Sierra, and a few others in 10 calibers and the FailSafes give me the best accuracy, followed closely by the Barnes X bullets.  You might also consider the recoil of the 300 Mag.  If you can shoot the lesser calibers more accurately than the 300, I'd sure stick with them.  

wvhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.  We do have a few black bears in the area.  In fact while scounting for turkeys on afternoon this spring I walked up within 35 yards of a nice bear.  It probably went about 350 pounds which is a nice bear for West Virginia.

vman

Reaction score
I have a Remington 300 win mag also.  I use it for deer and elk.  They make a 150 gr bullet.  This is what I use for deer.   I have taken on buck with a 200 gr bullet, and it didnt make it all the way through him at 35 yards.  The deer was faceing me and quarting away  just slightly.  I was in heavy cover so I let him have it.  I hit him just below the spine.  No fitals were hit, but it stopped him dead in his tracks.   I also use a 243, but nothing can be too dead. I look at it this way, to make good shots with a rifle you need practice, so find one that works for you and use it as much as possible, you never know when that booner is going to step out.  

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
wvhunter,

I have a browning A-Bolt Medallion in 300 mag. I have taken one deer with it with federal premium 150 grain trophy bonded bear claw loads. I took it just above the heart at 100 yards or so and lost both front shoulders.  It left one big hole.  Though it was not a big deer, probably 120# dressed, still more damage than necessary.  :shootin:

340mag

Reaction score
if you hand load you can easily taylor your loads in a 300 win mag to match your needs its no big trick to load a 300 down to 30-06 speeds , 57 grns of imr-4064 or 66grns of h4350 and a 165 grn bullet and a federal 215 primer works well in most guns for this. I mark the cases with majic marker with a big (d) for (deer or down load) so I dont get them mixed up (my friends son hunts with a 300win mag)(my son hunts with a 300wby mag so this has come up before)

marmot

Reaction score
It shoots so fast that it just pushed out a cylindrical tube of meat in front of the bullet. There is hardly any damage at alllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Latest Posts

Top Bottom