.308 on Varmints

headshot223

Reaction score
Do you think that a .308 win with Nosler 150 ballistic tips would mess a varmints skin up to much at a close range of 0-120 yards?

Varmint= anything that comes into the call in case you were wondering

Thanks
headshot223

Hook

Reaction score
If you dont mind loosing the pelt, it is a fine round. My buddy shot his at the Wister JHP hunt with a 308 and tore it put good.

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
I don't think that the varmints would mind, specially coyotes...:big-grin-aqua::big-grin-aqua:

MAC

Reaction score
I've used my .308 on a couple of yotes, and just like the others have said, it will do a bang up job in the killing dept, and an even better job in the pelt obliteration department. However, if you just want to remove some critters without selling the pelts, I can't think of a better way to practice your shooting for big game.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
It will kill them dead but it will also make a mess out or the pelt. A 223 is better for the pelt but a 17 is even better. WBH

so cal hunter

Reaction score
Headshot223; i have been using 308 on coyotes for a few year's now mostly at long range with 165gr. balistic tip's and also 125's with some pelt damage. but if you do not care to mount them go for it i have shot coyote's with everything from 223 to a 30-378 and that makes a hole you can put your hand through. but if you want to mount it use something small.

Gus

Reaction score
I'm with everybody else on this one, a .308 will do the killing and tear up the hide pretty good and you will not be able to do any mounts.  I shot one about 20 yards away and it looked like I had shot the coyote with a cannon ball.

steve_77

Reaction score
can anyone recommend .30 cal bullets like 125grn for pelt work (yotes)? - was thinking of .308 speer 125 TNT, is this still too heavy/messy should i use 125 fmj or 110gn fmj ? - suggestions anyone?

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Steve 77
FMJ bullets are not legal for hunting in CA. The regs require a softnose/expanding type bullet. The only .30 cal round I can think of that wouldn't cause quite a bit of pelt damage are the Remington Accelerators. They are .55gr bullets with a sabot. I think they're available in 30-30, .308, and .30-06. I've shot a few yotes with them and the bullets rarely even exits.
Scott

steve_77

Reaction score
how accurate are they? anything else - i might be able to load-up myself? what about sierra 8005 (85grn rn) or sierra 2110 (110 gr. HP) - can you get the sabots for the accelerators, and reload .223 bullets in em?

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I've never really sat down and tried to get good groups from the accelerators. As long as they shoot minute of coyote, that's good enough for me. I used them in my '06 till I bought a .223 last year and never had any issues with accuracy(other than problems I caused)

The sabots are available seperately. There are a few companies that advertise them in The Shotgun News.
Scott

steve_77

Reaction score
was wondering what you gents think of the following: first you mentioed that fmj are not legal for hunting but, i founf no mention of them in dfg reg book, state laws, or california regulations. - so whats the scoop on this? second i was lookinginto the little 110 grn hornady sp, the 110 grn sierra fmj, 110 grn sierra rn, and the 85 grn sierra rn - was wondering what the opinion is on these -- i have been shooting speer 125TNT rounds but hear its like a "nuclear" event out of a 308 on varmits -- so those are out -- then i was thinking of the sabot rounds - found a place that sells em -- anyone use them -- what .224 flat base bullets would work best? --- what should i do -- and no i cant afford another rifle
-- anyhow should i opt for the 85grn ? the 110grn .30 or test out the sabot's ? -- ideas?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Not really a varmint hunter myself, but I enjoy keeping track with the guys here.

For big game in CA, the law requires "expanding tip" bullets, which FMJs are definitely NOT.

However, it's much less precise when it comes to shooting varmints and other non-game. There is, technically, no prohibition on using FMJ ammo on coyotes, at least according to the Mammals and Furbearers book (p. 54 Chapter 6, section 475).

I couldn't find any exceptions to this in the general statutes either, although I have to say after a few minutes of digging through the logical places, my eyes got foggy.

I'm fairly sure that you can, legally, use FMJ ammo on 'yotes. However, I'm not sure that it's the best ammo to use for killing anything bigger than a squirrel. The experienced guys can argue that one (if an argument is rated). Otherwise, I'd keep shooting something that expands.

songdog

Reaction score
I normally shoot coyotes with .17, .22 and .24 caliber rounds but the ones that I've shot with .277 and .308 rounds seem to do better when they've been shot with one of the "premium" bullets like a Nosler Partition or a Barnes X bullet. They expand but they don't have the explosive varmint type of effect. That is desirable in a .223 when the bullet comes completely apart inside the animal. With a .308, even shooting light 110gr bullets, the bullet will still come apart but likely all over the far side of the coyote opening up a big hole. The premium bullets expand but normally exit with a quarter sized hole which is fixed with a few stitches of 4lb mono.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
As Speckmisser mentions, in the hunting regs under Non Game Animals (coyotes), Chapter 6 #475 states "Non game birds and mammals may be taken in any manner".

So while fmj bullets may be legal to use on yotes, I personally do not care for them. They will most likely go clean through a coyote and the beast will not even realize he is dead until he is in the next county, resulting in a lost yote.

Unless you intend to save the hide, why not use the 125gr speer tnt? Other wise you will have to go to something less volitile. Perhaps a 150 gr speer?! At least they are both affordable.

TScottW99

Reaction score
If your looking to make your .308 into a yote gun via sabot's check out E. Arthur Brown.

E. Arthur Brown

They sell a Sabot Loader's Starter Kit for $19.90 The kit allows you to load .224 bullets into your .308 catridge via sabots which gives you the old Remington excellator round. As for accuracy, i've never loaded my own but did shoot a good many of the old Remingtons, MOA they are not. I was able to shoot a good many whistle pigs with them though the accuracy really went to heck in a handbasket after 100 yards in my gun. Good luck to ya' Scott

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Open mouth...insert foot.

I knew the reg book said no FMJ, but didn't realize it was for big game only. Thanks for straightening me out guys...my bad.
Scott

NoCAL

Reaction score
I've loaded 110 V-Max bullets from Hornady in my .308. I've never shot anything but paper but they might not penetrate through at ranges longer than 100 yards. Can't be sure though

NoCAL

Latest Posts

Top Bottom