308 vs 30-06

Chayito702

Reaction score
Happy New years to the JHO members and family. I have a couple of questions and hope I could find some answers here. A friend of mine is selling his 308 win savage model 99E lever action riffle along with his 270 win. His first option of finding a buyer was me :) the questions are as followed

1) Is the 308 lest or most powerful than the 30-06?
2) will the 308 be to much of a kick for a 14yr old?

Thanks for the help folks.

solus

Reaction score
get the 270 for the kid. It has less kick and you can use it for most if not all Big game in North America. Seeing how its a lever action it more than likely has a wood stock and Ill tell you this much wood stocks hurt. Not to mention its probably a carbine barrel(just guessing) which would increase recoil as well. Im sure someone else will chime in saying something else. :)

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
get the 270 for the kid. It has less kick and you can use it for most if not all Big game in North America. Seeing how its a lever action it more than likely has a wood stock and Ill tell you this much wood stocks hurt. Not to mention its probably a carbine barrel(just guessing) which would increase recoil as well. Im sure someone else will chime in saying something else. :)
Something else. :)

Do you reload? If not, get the 270. If so, then get the 308. Load up some 110 or 130grn TTSX for the 308 and the 14yr old will do fine. When he gets older you can load up heavier bullets. Oh and the 30-06 has more case capacity than the 308 with translates to more powder charge, more velocity and of course more recoil.

slanttop357

Reaction score
That 99E is a sweet looking lever as mentioned 270 will fit your son better. What is he asking for the Savage ? if the price is right you would have one hell of a lever gun.

thewolfman

Reaction score
Frank...my son is 12 and shot his 1st buck passed season with the 06....should be fine with any of those 3 guns...I would choose the better looking 1 as someone has stated...but however I would prefer the 270 or 308

catchdog

Reaction score
I would go with the .270 You can buy lighter bullets for lighter recoil from the store . It shoots flatter and faster than the .308 . Some people are a lot more recoil sensitive than others . If the boy has a gun that has to much recoil for him he will not shoot well .

freezer

Reaction score
First he won't be able to tell the difference in recoil. Felt recoil is calculated by the weight of the gun, weight of the projectile and weight of the charge. My first concern is what are you buying the gun for? Pig, deer, elk? Either cartridge will do well to 300 yards. Without a lot of pratice anything over 150 would not be advised. The 270 is a flater shooter but I wouldn't make tha my determining factor.

308 Win and 30-06 Springfield use the same bullet diameter (.308). The 30-06 has a longer case thus more powder capacity. This gives it more power, range and recoil. The 270 Win is very similar to the 30-06 but has a smaller bullet diameter. It's flatter shooting but due to the reduced bullet diameter has lighter bullet wieght, less knock down power and slightly less recoil but you won't notice it. In a real world situation it comes down to shooting strieght and bulet placement on anything up to mule deer at reasonable distances.

I would be more concerned with the size of the child and the size of the rifle. Weight is one concern. The lighter the better if he's going to be carrying it all day. If he's sitting it's not as big of a factor. Alas the lighter the gun the more felt recoil. Pratice shooting is where he'll feel the recoil not when he shoots at game. If he's not trained well and comfortable he'll develope a finch and that's going to be hard to break later. A flinch equals bad shot placement on game.

The size of the child also means the rifle needs t be modified to fit him. The leignth of pull (LOP) is very critical. The LOP is the distance from the butt stock to the trigger. Smaller people need less LOP or the rifle won't fit. This leads to poor aim, an inability to grip the rifle well and a lot more felt recoil, all bad. Either gun wll need the stock cut to fit the child. What I would do is buy another stock and have it cut t fit him. Save the original stock for later. While your at it have a "good" recoil pad installed. As he grows you can add plastic shims under the recoil pad untill he grows into the original stock. This, especially with the Savage, wll save the value of the rifle.

You don't mention the make or model of the bolt action rifle. What is it? Does it wear a scope, if so what kind?

The Savage 99 is a classic rifle and very good quality. As mentioned before 308 Win is capable of doing anything in the lower 48 at reasonable dstance. I have a Savage 99f (Feather light) in 308 the wears a 2x7 Leupold scope. I wouldn't hesatate to shoot 300 yrds for pig and 400 yrds for deer. It's my go to rifle. I have other rifles but because of weight, the terrain I hunt and the fast follow up shot it's my go-to gun. Alas these are older rifles and too many times they are not cared for well. Mine was abused and ignored. After I bought it I took it to a gunsmith to have it cleaned, the trigger adjusted and the internal working lubed and polished. It shoots a three shot cloverleaf at 100 yrds.

Much the same can be said for used bolt action rifles. Because of laywers the factory trigger can be very heavy. This will effect how well the gun shoots. Have someone who knows a lot about guns (local gun store) or a gunsmith look at it. Triggers are easy to adjust and stock modifications floating the barrel) can make a rifle shoot well. If the rifle has a scope insure it's in good condition. Cheap, broken,or improperly installed glass wll not shoot well.

All that said I go for the Savage. JMHO

Do you have a .22? If not make that your first purchase. It's a lot cheaper to shoot and has no recoil.

Chayito702

Reaction score
Something else. :)

Do you reload? If not, get the 270. If so, then get the 308. Load up some 110 or 130grn TTSX for the 308 and the 14yr old will do fine. When he gets older you can load up heavier bullets. Oh and the 30-06 has more case capacity than the 308 with translates to more powder charge, more velocity and of course more recoil.
no I don't reload.

Chayito702

Reaction score
That 99E is a sweet looking lever as mentioned 270 will fit your son better. What is he asking for the Savage ? if the price is right you would have one hell of a lever gun.
He asking for 350 and 300 for the 270

Chayito702

Reaction score
Frank...my son is 12 and shot his 1st buck passed season with the 06....should be fine with any of those 3 guns...I would choose the better looking 1 as someone has stated...but however I would prefer the 270 or 308
That's right i do remember you telling me he knocked it down with your 06, I think he will do just fine with either.

Chayito702

Reaction score
First he won't be able to tell the difference in recoil. Felt recoil is calculated by the weight of the gun, weight of the projectile and weight of the charge. My first concern is what are you buying the gun for? Pig, deer, elk? Either cartridge will do well to 300 yards. Without a lot of pratice anything over 150 would not be advised. The 270 is a flater shooter but I wouldn't make tha my determining factor.

308 Win and 30-06 Springfield use the same bullet diameter (.308). The 30-06 has a longer case thus more powder capacity. This gives it more power, range and recoil. The 270 Win is very similar to the 30-06 but has a smaller bullet diameter. It's flatter shooting but due to the reduced bullet diameter has lighter bullet wieght, less knock down power and slightly less recoil but you won't notice it. In a real world situation it comes down to shooting strieght and bulet placement on anything up to mule deer at reasonable distances.

I would be more concerned with the size of the child and the size of the rifle. Weight is one concern. The lighter the better if he's going to be carrying it all day. If he's sitting it's not as big of a factor. Alas the lighter the gun the more felt recoil. Pratice shooting is where he'll feel the recoil not when he shoots at game. If he's not trained well and comfortable he'll develope a finch and that's going to be hard to break later. A flinch equals bad shot placement on game.

The size of the child also means the rifle needs t be modified to fit him. The leignth of pull (LOP) is very critical. The LOP is the distance from the butt stock to the trigger. Smaller people need less LOP or the rifle won't fit. This leads to poor aim, an inability to grip the rifle well and a lot more felt recoil, all bad. Either gun wll need the stock cut to fit the child. What I would do is buy another stock and have it cut t fit him. Save the original stock for later. While your at it have a "good" recoil pad installed. As he grows you can add plastic shims under the recoil pad untill he grows into the original stock. This, especially with the Savage, wll save the value of the rifle.

You don't mention the make or model of the bolt action rifle. What is it? Does it wear a scope, if so what kind?

The Savage 99 is a classic rifle and very good quality. As mentioned before 308 Win is capable of doing anything in the lower 48 at reasonable dstance. I have a Savage 99f (Feather light) in 308 the wears a 2x7 Leupold scope. I wouldn't hesatate to shoot 300 yrds for pig and 400 yrds for deer. It's my go to rifle. I have other rifles but because of weight, the terrain I hunt and the fast follow up shot it's my go-to gun. Alas these are older rifles and too many times they are not cared for well. Mine was abused and ignored. After I bought it I took it to a gunsmith to have it cleaned, the trigger adjusted and the internal working lubed and polished. It shoots a three shot cloverleaf at 100 yrds.

Much the same can be said for used bolt action rifles. Because of laywers the factory trigger can be very heavy. This will effect how well the gun shoots. Have someone who knows a lot about guns (local gun store) or a gunsmith look at it. Triggers are easy to adjust and stock modifications floating the barrel) can make a rifle shoot well. If the rifle has a scope insure it's in good condition. Cheap, broken,or improperly installed glass wll not shoot well.

All that said I go for the Savage. JMHO

Do you have a .22? If not make that your first purchase. It's a lot cheaper to shoot and has no recoil.
Thanks for reply freezer,

He is about 5'4, he has longer reach and has shot with my 30-06 before along with my 12 gauge and 22.

Chayito702

Reaction score
Thank you all for the good information, we went out this morning to look for some quail and took both toys with us. Shoot about 50 rounds on each (reloads my friend has). I had the 14 yr old brother shoot with both riffles and he did really good. However he said he would prefer the light one bummer..lol.. so since he was pretty comfortable with the 270 ibhave decided to get him that one. We drove home and my buddy says "look bro, I wont be doing some hunting for a long time. I have known you since we were 14 (13 yrs) if you want take both riffles for 500 even " wow.. I was like are you feeling good. He is getting shipped overseas, and he doesn't want the riffles in a safe until he gets back. So I decided to take him kn the offer. One for my brother and one for my father, bet he will be happy!

freezer

Reaction score
That's a screaming deal for the Savage at $350. What is the bolt gun. The trigger on the Savage cn be cleaned up and it's well worth it!

slanttop357

Reaction score
Wow, glad to hear you got a special deal on some very good rifles.

Chayito702

Reaction score
That's a screaming deal for the Savage at $350. What is the bolt gun. The trigger on the Savage cn be cleaned up and it's well worth it!
Thanks freezer, it has some scratches on the wood stock but with a nice touch up it could look decent.

Its a Winchester 270 model 70

VHRAM

Reaction score
30-06 , my son has been shooting mine and having fun with it since he was 12

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The Savage 99 was chambered in the .300 Savage for the most part and the .308 ones command a premium. You might want to get both. If nothing else it might defray the cost of the one you keep.

Wolfe

Reaction score
If you can swing both it sounds like they are very good deals. My 13 year old daughter shoots a Tikka T3 light in 308 so your son will have no problems.

Top Bottom