30mm UV doesn't fit quite right?

cgchris99

Reaction score
I was told the 30mm UV filters would fit nicely in a 1 1/4" hole.

So I cut the hole and it is just a little too big.  I am going to use permatex to hold it in.

But should I put the lens on the inside or outside of the case? (pelican 1120)

Thanks

Possum

Reaction score
I always put my lens on the inside (Ammo Box) because I want the camera lens as close to the glass as I can get it.  That way there is no chance of distortion.  I reckon you could put it outside, but I don't because of the chance of the glass cutting something in my truck or my finger.  You probably have the UV glass enclosed in a ring of plastic? so it would not matter??  Also, most all the cameras I see have it inside.

Stickbow

Reaction score
egchris99,

I'm gonna assume you got that info from me. I don't know why yours don't fit the 1 1/4" hole perfectly as all of mine have, unless you maybe have a different brand of UV lens(?) Mine are SIMA 30mm from Best Buy.

Either way, as far as which way to put the lens in, mine have one side where the lens is recessed more than the other and I mount mine with the lens IN to 1) prevent any distortion as Possum said, but also 2) to help keep it a little more protected from rain and debris spotting up the lens.

I'm certain however, once you get it mounted in and siliconed, you will be pleased with the quality of your pics.

cgchris99

Reaction score
Stickbow,

Mine are from Best Buy and they are Sima. But for some reason my hole saw must be a little bigger.

Are you saying that once you cut yours that it "almost" fits tight enough that it would actually hold via the threads on the lens?

Mine is loose but still have enough of a raised edge to keep it from falling through the cut hole.

Thanks for any advice.

glen71

Reaction score
I used a 1.125" hole saw for my 30mm filter, so that the threaded portion would pass through but not the larger ring. This forms a "shoulder" against the enclosure door, ensuring that the glass is parallel to the door. I found this much easier than trying to align the lens in a larger hole. Just my $0.02.

glen71

Reaction score
Stickbow- I failed to mention that I had to do a little filing (with a round file) to enlarge, true, and smooth the hole for a snug fit. The 1.125" hole is a little undersize.

(Edited by glen71 at 2:42 pm on Oct. 3, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom