35MM zoom

EVAN III

Reaction score
   With all the different zoom lenses I don't know what does what. Can someone explain in a languge I can understand? I'm used to scope and bino stuff, such as 8X and 3X9. If a tele-converter is 2.0X does that mean it's like a 2X power scope, or does it mean it will increase a 200 mm lense to 400 m? Also what is 200 and 400 mm lense, is it like 2X and 4X power? Any other info will help also.

Thanks
                            EVAN III

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
There is a formula I saw somewhere Evan that converts 35mm lenses to optical zoom x rating.

I know my 10x optical zoom lens on my digital Olympus 2100 camera is equivalent to a 380mm tele lens on a 35mm SLR camera according to my camera op manual. Basically a 2x tele lens is 2 times the OPTICAL zoom in digital camcorders and digital cameras. So a 5x optical lens on a digital camera would be like hanging a 180mm tele lens on a 35mm SLR camera.

Digital zoom is a whole nother creature in digital cameras and is done by enlarging the pic digitally which makes it grainy. This is why most people don't pay attention to a camera's digital zoom rating and most don't use it.

Clear as mud right?

billkay

Reaction score
Just to add a little more mud.... a 200mm lens for a 35mm film camera is considered a normal telephoto length.  A 2X converter will double that length to 400mm; doubling the magnification, but at the cost of 2 stops of light.  Meaning you need 4x the amount of light either through decreasing your shutter speed or opening your apeture by 2 stops, or a combination of both.  Increasing your film speed is another alternative to make up the difference.  As difficult as it sounds, a good auto camera will do all this for you if you point it in the right direction.

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Spectr17 and billkay,

Thanks for the replies, I had to put on the hip waders, but I think I caught what your saying.*LOL*  Anyway, Thanks alot.

EVAN III

Top Bottom