4/5 tournament

Ridn9high

Reaction score
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:00 am Post subject: 4/5 Tournament

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well my partner and I had a tournament yesterday April the 5th. The tournament had 59 boats show up on this cool crisp spring morning. The water temps were anywhere from 58-64 degrees with 6-8 foot clarity.

We made our first cast at 6am in pitch black conditions. I was throwing a longshank white 1/2 oz spinnerbait, and my partner was throwing a strike 300 series carankbait. I have the boat positioned in 12 ft of water and we are casting towards a rocky point. BAM!!!!! FISH ON. My partner runs for the net and swipes a 2.75 pound smallie out of the darkness. After high fives, we are right back into action, cast and reeling.

It is now 6:45 and we still only have one fish in the livewell. I say "lets roll" I buckle down the rods on the front deck and pull up the minn kota. As we are buckling up our life vest, I crank over the 200 hp Mercury. We are heading to my little honey hole I had found back in the middle of winter. Its a point with a 4 foot flat that comes 50 yards from the bank. On the end of the flat is a ledge that drops from 4 foot to 12 foot. 3 cast in to the spot we put a 13 inch smallie in the livewell and 5 cast later we boat another 13 inch smallie. The weather conditions 50 degrees with blue bird skies and no a breeze. We switch from cranking and to finesse. I'm throwing a drop shot, while my partner is throwing a shaky head. We wrorked this 75 yard ledge back and forth for about an hout and a half. We boated 4 more keepers off it, but have yet to cull. Again I say "let's roll" We are now fishing a steep shell rock bank. With the tules in the shallows, I have swithed up to a weightless senko, and my partner is throwing the shaky head. 5 minutes into the spot I hook up with a decent largemouth. He is 16 inches and good enough to cull out a 13in smallie. After working this area for a little bit and catching just one decent fish with more little ones, my partner says "let's hit that ledge again" It's now 10:30am and we have aorund 7-1/2-8 pounds in the boat. We start to fish the ledge, the one we fished earlier in the morning. We spent another 1.5 hours there and were able to dump the other two 13 inch fish with 15 inchers. I'm now guessing we have 9 to 9-1/2 pounds and still need that one kicker fish to help us out.

Most of the time a 12-14 pound limit will win on this body of water. You are able to catch 12-13 inch smallies all day with finese tactics. A good kicker 3-4 pounder will usually put a team in the money.

Knowing this we were off to find good fish. I put on a jig and my partner pulls of the 4 inch worm and puts on a 6 inch worm. We hit the ledge agin with these baits, but still weren't able to cull. I decided to make a run into an area I have heard to be a spawning cove. This cove is only 4 times the size of a normal swimming pool. There is deep water in front of this pocket and a gravel bottom. My partner on the outside of the pocket in the deep water. We can see stucture on the bottom that we later find out is some brush piles. My partner was slowing working his shaky head back to the boat, when BAM!!!!!!!FSIH ON. The largemouth shoots straight up like a bottle rockets and explods on the service. It's a 3 to 3-1/2 pounder and I drop my rod and grab the net. The fish heads back down to the bottom. The 8lb line is peeling of the reel while the drag is just burning. Both my partner and I are in the front while I chse the fish down on the trolling motor. The largemouth makes another explosion on the top and then heads back down to some structure he calls home. The fish got wraaped up in the tree and weaseled his way out of the Gami hook. This all happened in about 20 second and I knew we had just lost the one fish that would have put us in the top.

Well 3pm was just arounf the corner, so we strapped down the rods and headed to the ramp. The bank looked like a parking lot, with bass boats lined up on the grass of the lake. I found a spot on a patch of tules and decided to call that home for my bass cat for the next hour. I ran up to the bench and got our weigh slip. My partner and I stood around and listened to the tournament director, who was calling out the weights. We heard a lot of 4,5,6,7 and 8 pound sacks. Nothing was over 8.80 and I kind of had a good feeling in my belly.

We went to the boat and put our limit in the weigh-in bag. As I was standing in line, I kept looking at other teams bags and treying to compare them. When I dumped our fish in the basket, I noticed that we had a bigger sack then most. Our 5 fish weighed in at 9.01 pound and was good enough for 10th place. We were 2 spots out of the money. I was just hoping for a top 15 because this was just my 3rd time on the lake and my partners first. It took 12 pounds and some change to take home the victory

Rob4x4

Reaction score
Well even though you didnt place sounds like a good time. I would like to do some tournies one day. My dad used to do them a long time ago but then had to stop due to taking a lot of time to pre fish and with work and all didnt have the time.

JNDEER

Reaction score
great read..thanks....that is rough having that big guy get off......atleast you did finish top 15.

Advertisement

Top Bottom