• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

4-years since the last smooth-barrel lead-free slug convo

jbao

are there any lead free slugs for smooth bores? I unloaded my rifled barrel but am thinking about picking up a short barrel that accepts chokes -- maybe a rifled choke too. how are sabots with rifled chokes?

JustGuy

Banned
It is strictly my experience, some might have different one.
Rifled chokes for me were useless.
I had more than 6" spread at 50 yard with most of the projectiles key-holed.

Smooth barrel with cylinder choke was the same 6-7" spread but no key holes.

I tried all kinds of ammo. The best results out of my Maxus were Sellier & Bellot 1 Oz slugs.

Maybe there are non-lead slugs but could not find anything.
The Sabots from smooth barrel were terrible and i think they are not recommended for smooth bore.

So, i moved to a rifled barrel with my Mossberg 500, Found ammo it likes and happy since than

ltdann

Short answer is NO. No lead free slugs for smoothbore's. Rifled chokes are useless. Using Sabots in a smoothbore is about as effective as throwing a rock. At $3 a shell your just throwing money away.

jbao

Ah good call. I just picked up some ddupleks dupo 28s for around $2 a shell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltdann

The dupleks are approved. I wasn't aware they were for sale again. The company told me they couldn't make a profit at the prices they were selling. FYI, they don't perform well in smoothbores. They really work better in rifled barrels.

The Winchester zinc slug are NOT on the approved list, but they ought to be. Time to get after Winchester to fill out the paperwork.

Jbao, you really need to get a rifled barrel. The performance is SO much better with it. I've killed deer at 170 yds with a rifled barrel. No smoothbore /rifled slug combo out there can match the performance.

jbao

I had one but just sold it off cause I couldn't find reloading gear. I have a 30-06 I may use but it's always nice to have a 12ga for both deer and quail as the season overlaps. Rifled barrel wouldn't work well for that

ltdann

Reloading gear? For slugs? I know quite a few die-hard reloaders but never actually met anyone that loaded their own slugs. I considered it and found all the equipment from Ballistic Products but couldn't source the lead-free slugs. Considered using muzzleloader sabots but not enough info out there to do it safely.

jbao

Sorry I mean powder. I couldn't find any powder! I wanted to load my own sabots as they're ~$4 a shot from factory loads. Ended up ditching the rifled barrel since it's so specialty and picked up a rem 760 30-06 carbine for $350

Top Bottom