41 magnum

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I've been tempted to get a 41 mag and shot one a few weeks ago. I'm looking at a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. Is it a good combo or not? I'll use it for deer occationally, making noise in the backyard and...well I don't have one yet. I'll do my own handloading.

What's the general opinion of them?

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I have owned the Blackhawk and currently own a model 57 six inch nickel that had to be rebuilt after I shot it out--about 40,000 rounds since I bought it new in 1986.

The .41 mag is definitely for handloaders due to the expense of factory ammo. The bullet selection is somewhat limited, especially compared to the .44 mag. Recoil is way less and yet energy levels are comparable at 100 yards due to it's higher B.C. than a .44. Case life is great, lots of powders, and is an accurate cartridge.

This is the only revolver cartridge I own as it is so versatile. It would be a fantastic deer cartridge.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Since Ruger quit making the original version of their .44 carbine, I've often dreamed of chambering a M-1 carbine in .44 mag. Now that you sing the virtues as you do, I'm inclined to think a M-1 carbine would be better chambered in .41 magnum. Hmmmmmm, I wonder what THAT would cost? Certainly more than the Ruger.

I'll second the bullet selection and add that, living in a small town, I rarely see .41 mag for sale on the shelves. It's definitely a handloader's endeavor.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
For a while you could get a lever action chambered in it and it may still be available. I'm not a big fan of pistol cartridges in rifles, but hey! What the heck.

richracer1

Reaction score
The .41 S&W is the minimum cal handgun I would hunt big game with. Like 410 said, it's almost identical to the 44 mag except for bullet selection. As for the Ruger SBH, IMO it's one of the best revolvers out there. I have a 44 mag Sup Redhawk with the 9.5" and love it.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
As Richracer says: it's the minimum. I will point out that I'm not too sure I would WANT to shoot some of the hogs we've killed here, using a handgun at all. I'm sure you could do it, but you are giving up a lot of energy. That said, it's more than enough for the two legged varmints found on some public land and I would not leave it at home if I were hunting the National Forest.

Caninelaw

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone make non-toxic (copper) bullets for the .41? (I honestly don't know. Maybe someone can enlighten me?) If you're going to use it for hunting you might have a problem getting non-toxic rounds for it for the condor areas. At least you can get a few bullets in non-toxic for the .44.

I'M DK

Reaction score
One to choose from.
Pistol | Barnes Bullets

<table align="center" border="1" width="92%"><tbody><tr><td width="29%">Caliber</td> <td width="7%">Dia.</td> <td width="12%">Weight</td> <td width="17%">Description</td> <td width="7%">S.D.</td> <td width="8%">B.C.</td> <td width="10%">Cat. #</td> </tr> <tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr><tr> <td>
</td> <td height="31">
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td height="31">
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 41 Magnum </td> <td height="24">.410</td> <td>180 gr</td> <td>XPB FB</td> <td>.153</td> <td>.126</td> <td>41018</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

dk

myfriendis410

Reaction score
To clarify: I doubt that I would use a pistol on anything but a small pig. Not enough energy.

DILPRXO

Reaction score
Hi FTT
Both Federal and Corbon load the leadfree Barnes as factory ammo for the 41 Mag.
Midway has them.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
I've owned a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley model in .41 mag for 10 years now. It's my only big bore revolver and while I may own another, I know I'll never need another. I have th 7.5 inch barrel, and it's sighted at 50 yards, and performs well at this range. Since I don't live in the condor area, I use Winchester 240 grain platinum tips, and these bullets are absolutely devastating. I haven't had a chance to use it on any big game as of yet, but I have no doubts as to it's capability. I also have used 265 grain cast bullets from Cor-Bon and have had good results with these as well. When hunting in bear and cat country, i have felt a lot better with this pistol on my hip. It's pretty heavy though.

Marlin used to sell a .336 chambered in .41 mag. I don't know if it is still in production or not.

GregVan

Reaction score
When guiding part-time, I switched from a 44 mag to a 41 because I got better penetration with the 41. Shot hogs up to 200+ lbs with it. Those were boar/feral crosses in Monterey.

Up here (central Cascades), my wife has a .41 Blackhawk when hiking and camping. We're, at least technically, in grizzly territory. Lots of black bears and cats. Some moose (can be more aggressive than bears!) Heavy, hard-cast handloads

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Well, I sent my money and got one a week or so ago. I finally found some loaded ammo, empty cases and some bullets. I couldn't find Large Pistol Magnum primers, but depending on what book I look at, I can use either LPM or Large Pistol primers. I have about 1000 of them. I'm ready to load some up and make some noise. The factory ammo is too expensive to use to sight it in, but the reloads should be close. Here's to putting holes in some paper!:gunfighter:

P.S. These better not say ftt-pow when they fire off.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If you want some load advice, just ask me. I've been loading the .41 mag since 1986 and to the tune of about 40,000 rounds. AND, I'm still shooting the same gun albeit rebuilt by Smith and Wesson. (I can blame the .41 on some of my hearing loss, though)

Rick

Reaction score
I have 3 of them. A Blackhawk from 1971, a Model 58 S&W and a Model 57-1 S&W. I have been loading since the one my Dad bought for me in 1971 as high school graduation present. I've shot a lot of H-110 and W-296 through them. I would stick to magnum primers with the two of them - and do not drop below the lowest loads in the books with those powders. I have used "regular" large pistol primers with 2400, Blue Dot (though Alliant says not to use it in .41 mag loads anymore!) and other faster powders.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I found some Speers 220 gr soft points and loaded them with 19 gr of 296. I used LP primers. When I find some LPM primers, I'll reload some more. Primers sent through the mail have a $20 fee for shipping. I'll need to find a local supplier and wait til they come in. The folks that are hoarding ammo and components sure make it tough on those of us that are still shooting.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If you want a fun load try the Sierra 170 gr. power jacket with 23.5 gr. of 296. You'll get awesome flame, high velocities and incredible blast. Very accurate too. Takes bowling pins OFF the table!

Top Bottom