• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

416 Rigby or 458 Lott

oscar1975

Hello friends, I am presenting my name is Oscar, I am Spanish and well, I have no money, no intention to go to any safari, but I want to have a high caliber and I have a dilemma, between the caliber Rigby 416 or 458 Lott. I just want your opinion, is a luxury that I really want to do. I like the Rigby, but I see that their ammunition is very expensive, I also love the 458 Lott and has the advantage that can also shoot the 458 Winchester Mangnum.

Thank you,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

sjuels

Oscar,

Both calibers have a touch of recoil - just for your information.

If you reload, the cost would be similar for the two cartridges - and in that case I would say it;s like asking a man to choose a redhead over a blonde - why not have both?
Also, both cartridges are excellent deer and pig calibers - the only downside is the substantial recoil and the rifles are typically a little heavier than your average 308.

Also, I am not sure being spanish should in any way affect your choice of caliber - with the exception that you can see the continent of Africa from the southern tip of your country - and whatever dreams might follow the sight of her ...

Regards,
/Soren

oscar1975

Hi Soren:

Part of the appeal of these for my caliber rifle butts that is the tip on the shoulder. I want to feel their power on every shot. I love the 416 Rigby, but actually their ammunition is more expensive than the 458 Lott and I am in crisis. At the moment I am still saving money, and when the time comes to buy a rifle I judge a caliber or another.

A greeting,

Oscar.

sjuels

Oscar,

I have a friend, who swears by the 458 - he will even use it for fox hunting with solids (not a lot of damage to the fur and it will go through a bit of brush on the way too), and he likes it for driven shoots, where it's nice to see the animals drop in their tracks, so you can keep count.

Also, on this website you will find amble evidence of how tough wild boar can be, so a little more gun is not a bad idea. And should you ever encounter a Cape Buffalo, well then it's just the right medicine

Both cartridges are proven cartridges and not just fads, so you should expect them to be around for a while.

Which brands of rifles are you looking at?
I personally like the CZ's very much,

/Soren

oscar1975

Hi Soren:

Well, exactly the Ceska, because I already have one in 375 H & H Magnum and it seems to me an excellent weapon. I'm still a little confused with the caliber, I love the 416 Rigby, but their ammunition is expensive, and I'm also very fond of the 458 Lott, their ammunition is cheaper, has a higher power to stop (that I love jejeje) and has the ability to shoot in case of emergency (lack of ammunition Lott 458), the 458 Winchester Magnum, so the balance is tilted toward the American cartridge.

A greeting,

Oscar.

PS: So I think, this cartridge refilling it a 45/70 or a Marlin 444.

BigUglyMan

416 Rigby has some class whereas the 458 Lott has nothing in that department. It doesn't offer anything much over the 458 Winchester except more recoil and less available ammo. It is cheaper ammo, and yes, in a pinch you can use 458 Winchester in it (though the wisdom of that is debateable) but it's another one that doesn't inspire me to do backflips.

Top Bottom