44 marlin for yotes

wolverine

Reaction score
I've got a S&W 44 mag and thought about getting a rifle to match. Anybody use this rifle on coyotes?

songdog

Reaction score
Check out the trading post - Evan III is selling one.  I know for a fact that the rifle in question has taken at least one coyote at the JHP Wister hunt.  As long as you keep it to around 100 yards or so, it should kill them plenty dead.

lintongb

Reaction score
I shot a coyote with one a couple of years ago.  It was about 75 yards down hill.  I shot and say dirt fly up behind it and it took off up the hill.  I thought I shot over it until I found it two days later about 100 yards from where I hit it.  The bullet went right through it behind the shoulder.  Must have just missed the bones on each side.  I'm sure he wouldn't have run if the bullet hit something solid.  It can pack a punch at short distances.  It's a fun gun to shoot.  I think you will like it.

wolverine

Reaction score
Found a marlin today at a pawn shop. Don't think it has had too good of a life. I'll keep looking though. By the way songdog, Evan's rifle sounds like what I need, I just think I'll try to find one locally. Thanks.

dtur

Reaction score
The 44 mag is OK for coyotes under 100 yards (preferably around 50-75).

Has anyone used 45/70 on coyotes? 300 gr rem factory loads might be OK?

Have 17 HMR but think it might be a bit small for dogs. Great for ground squirrels though.

songdog

Reaction score
I've shot a couple with a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 just for the sake of shooting the rifle. It kills them plenty dead, no question about it. It's not the ideal coyote rifle but it will certainly work.

The .17 HMR is definitely too light for coyotes. Neat squirrel round though.

Moose-Hunter

Reaction score
lintongb,

Did you shoot that coyote with open sights? I have a Marlin .44 Rem. Mag., but I never use it.
I'm still trying to find a useful purpose for this gun, and well, maybe it can be used for full-time coyote hunting!

lintongb

Reaction score
Moose-hunter,
Yes, I shot it with open sights. I don't have a scope for that gun and to be honest I don't think I would want one on it. It is a fun gun to shoot. It has some umf and for the short range I prefer open sights.

Conrad CA

Reaction score
I suggest that you look into getting a varmint caliber centerfire bolt action. Something like the following:

.222,.223,.22-250, .220 swift or .243.

These shoot much flatter and more accurately than a .44 mag.

Also, I recommend that you get a light weight, handy rifle. If your insist on a heavy barrel than the remington and savage LTRs in .223 with 20" barrels are a good compromise.

EVAN III

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I missed this post, but oh well. I guess I was in the same position as the rest of you. I had the gun sitting in the safe, and never had anything to shot with it. I put a cheap little 4 power scope on it. I was shooting 240 gr hollow points that were moving about 1850 fps. The caliber is good to about max 100 yards, but it does a hell of a job. Not a bad yote gun, but in open country it does lack something.

EVAN III

Latest Posts

Top Bottom