4th week and Finally

knoopr55

Reaction score
[attachment=51334:Turkey2.jpg]
I left work Thursday and played a little hooky on Friday to get this gobbler in the hills above Coalinga. At five thirty in the a.m. I walked out of camp about 3/4 of a mile down a river bank and a quail started barking some single calls, in response a gobble to the left and one to the right just up on a ridge above me. I set out a Jake decoy in strut and a hen out in an open area and I found a nice oak tree to sit under. As soon as I was set up I decided to give a soft purr. It was about 6:10 and fairly light out already, when from above me a huge creature flew down from the tree I was under, a hen, scared the heck out of me. She looked at my decoys, then at me and starting calling(how perfect). It was not five seconds when I heard both Tom’s fly down off the roost and start running my way, my heart starting pounding. The bird to my left stopped behind some brush and kept calling but hung up, the hen walked down into the river bed and paired up with the Tom to my right. I told myself to be patient and hold my ground motionless, as I sat there the Gobbler on the right was moving away fast back toward camp with the hen and the bird on my left just quit calling. I had to make a decision, I unbuckled my vest ran past my decoys and followed the gobbler with the hen. About a half mile away I caught up with them, the sun was at my back so I stayed in the shadow of some trees and moved only when they could not see me. As I came back up on the river bank the hen spotted me at ran for the hill side. I heard a gobble but could not find the Tom, so I made a quick mouth call and a gobble roared at from a group of bushed to my left about 100 yards away, he was running right at me. I found a seat on a step hill next to a tree I could not get my back against it and was very uncomfortable. I had him convinced that I was the hen of his dreams that he had lost only moments earlier. At about 75 yard he hung and would not come any further. He kept poking his head up and over trying to find me, he kept moving towards a path that lead to the hill side and I began to worry he would slip away. My back was killing me now and I needed to move but when, he ducked behind a bush for a moment I switch to a left handed shot and allowed me to lean against the tree. All of the sudden he peeked out in an opening and I pulled the trigger, he stumbled then tried to fly up the hill, big hill. I ran his direction and saw him trying to fly/run up, he was on a game trail and was moving fast, my legs were burning, my lungs were burning, and I was light headed but determined. About 60 yards up he was stuck in a bush where I finished off with my last round. After I dropped him off at camp, I went back with my laser range finder, 73 yards from the tree I was sitting under, left handed; I could not do that again if I tried. 2 year old, 9 inch beard, 5/8 spurs, 20 ¾ pounds.
[attachment=51333:Turkey3.jpg]
Pulled him out of the over an hour ago, WOW

Attachments

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats on your gobbler. Glad you were able to recover your bird on a 73 yd. shot.......

Bulleye

Reaction score
Thats a long shot congrats on taking him at that distance.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom