• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

50/200 sight in?

Pumpa

Took my new howa 1500 300wm out to the range today. First time I've ever had a new rifle, I mounted a nikon monarch ucc I had laying arond. Did a 20 shot break in at 50 yards. Had great groups, i would say 1-1.5 moa20181006_114505_HDR.jpgt20181006_114505_HDR.jpg I've always hears sight in at 50 high, Dead on at 200. So I thought I have 5 rounds left ill take a stab at 200. Was all over the board and a couple missed entirely. Had gun mounted in a secure setup (knock off lead sled). Will take a pic of target later to post

Could i chalk this up to wind kinda of breezy at burro canyon today. Or need to fine tune at 200 yards.

Sorry for typing and grammer using my phone.

Revo2811

It will all come together. Just practice practice practice . It’s a new tool you’ll get used it. My own opinion because there will be many. Set it at 200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pumpa

20181007_141709.jpg
This was the 200. Aimed at the left of the main diamond I left my binos at home so wasnt to sure of what was happening down at 200

Revo2811

Are you using a lead sled or what are you resting the rifle on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pumpa

No some knock off rest I was gifted 12+ years ago. I'll grab grab the name it when i get home. Plan is to buy bags and set up that way

Last edited:

OPAH

work with it the best you can for now if you still can't get that grouping you want try a different brand or grain.
many here are shooting a 300, you may get some advice on the better steel rounds.

Pumpa

p1342993913993012.jpg
This is what I'm using as far as rest goes.
I have thought that it may possibly be the core-lokts I was shooting. I will not rule out the shooter as the problem to haha been awhile since ive shot

Pumpa

Went back to the range. Shot 50 had great groups. Shot 100 great group maybe 1.5-2 inch. Move out to 200 hold dead center of a fresh shoot-n-see. Can't see the shot anywhere on the board. Take a few more ask the guy next to me to take a peak cant see anything. So i hold high on the edge of top center. Barely hitting the cardboard on the bottom. I thought 100 to 200 yard with a 300 wm was a 3inch drop. So I adjust my scope still low about 5 inches. Adjust again high 3. This goes on for 1.5 hours chasing the bullet. Guy next to me takes a few shots. We both concluded that maybe its the scope or the mounts. Going to pull the scope and retorque everything.

Pumpa

How high the rings? I’d definitely say ring - maybe scope but more likely rings IMO
Using talley lows. 20181021_125857.jpg
I was doing some research last night i think maybe since I bought weatherby mounts that may be the issue always thought howa and weatherby where interchangeable.

mallarditis

yeah, I'd switch rings. The problems you described are almost always rings related. Even a $100 scope isn't going to hove sub 2" groups 100 and be off the paper at 200 (unless it's got the wrong rings). Did you lap those rings when you mounted the scope?

Pumpa

yeah, I'd switch rings. The problems you described are almost always rings related. Even a $100 scope isn't going to hove sub 2" groups 100 and be off the paper at 200 (unless it's got the wrong rings). Did you lap those rings when you mounted the scope?
Yes lapped them and used a torque wrench for everything. Going to call talley tomorrow.
Tbh I'm surprised that the rings make such an impact to go from a great 100 to me and crap at 200

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Earlier, you said the rifle was grouping 1.5-2" at 100. You can expect that to double at 200, so look for 3-4" groups by simple triangulation. Then, add the drop from 100-200 and you could be shooting as much as 7" low on some shots. Have you tried different loads yet?

Pumpa

Took the rings and bases off to once over everything. The farthest back screw wasn't even making contact with the lands. Looked at all the screws noticed that 2 where longer than others. Switched them around, and bases are now snug, then remounted the scope. I was playing around with the rifle and noticed something felt loose. Well turns out the actions screws where about 5 turns backed out I could wiggle and lift the barrel and action off the stock, id say 1/2 inch or so. Im going to assume this was the main issue followed by the rings.

Belchfire- I did pick up different ammo for the second day. I am going to grab another box of el cheapo corelokts to get back on paper and then tune with a box of more premium ammo.

Side note, I also learned that the weatherby and howa talley rings are interchangeable for the long action. Part # for 1inch lows (730734). Per email directly from Talley.

Lesson learned? Check all screws over firearms and inspect more carefully. Take time to note parts and not rush to get them on.

Once I hit the range again ill post the target and hopefully decent groups.:prayin :

Last edited:

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Just from your description, I'd say you found most, if not all, of your problem. Good luck and safe shooting. Bring us back some A+ targets! :)

Jboadway

It’s impressive how much one loose screw can through you off. Sounds like you have found the culprit, now find the torque specs and make sure they are all perfect. Cause it’s equally as impressive how much one screw out of torque can mess it up if you ever take it out 800+...

Mr. Luckypants

From your picture, it looks like the front scope base is touching the scope. And it doesn't look like you have any more room to move the scope forward. I recommend getting a "longer" scope cause the one you have now doesn't look like it fits a long action. sucks

Top Bottom