.54 cal for blackbear?

135Blacktail

Reaction score
Hi all,
I plan to hunt blackbear with my Uberti GPR. It's barrel is designed to shoot a patched roundball best. I have practiced a bit lately and am happy with the loads accuracy. The load is : .54 Hornady roundball, .10 lubed patch and 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. My question to you all with experience....Will 80 grains be enough for a broadside/behind the shoulder shot? Out to 75 yards? (Thats as far out as I'm comfortable shooting from kneeling position with iron sights). I know more powder would be better but the rifle likes 80gr. Thank you, Patrick.

Triple Se7en

Reaction score
Barrels with twists between 1-60 & 1-70" are designed to shoot roundball best. Personally, I would not hunt black bear with a roundball. I would use a sabot or conical with 320 grains or more. Just my opinion & personal safety has a little to do with my bullet & powder choice using MLs on a prospective dangerous game.

AMMOe

Reaction score
The .54 cal patched round ball is adequate for black bear. I would consider stoking the charge a bit, even if it messes with ultimate accuracy. I have an Uberti .53 caliber Hawken and 100 grains of Pyrodex shoots exceptionally well while delivering the good on game. If you read Sam Fadala's "The Complete Black Powder Handbook" he writes a great piece on shooting Big game with roundballs. If you want to delve a bit further, you can read Ned Roberts' "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" for stories of large bore round ball guns taking game back in the 1870's. He specifically goes into hunting black bears, too. Shoot straight and dont' move from the spot until you've reloaded. You'll do fine.
~AMMOe

135Blacktail

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. My rifle is designed for roundball. I've shot conicals thru it and a 12" group at 50 yards ain't accepitible.
Agreed, a bit more umph would be better. Tomorrow I'll take 'er to 100 grains of powder and see if the groups hold out. Hope so. If not, 80 It'll be. I'm pretty sure I won't try a broadside shoulder shot but a broadside lung should be O.K. as long as I stay within my comfort range. Again,thank you, Patrick.

P.S. Sunday's the opener and hopefully I'll have some news to post!

135Blacktail

Reaction score
Forgot to mention. That book "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" is hard to find for sale. Am very interested in buying it when I can find it. Thanks for the tip! Patrick.

Top Bottom