556 24 inch upper

dunderee

So I picked up a few boxes of .223 and sighted it in. I'm getting like 10 inch groups and 100 yards. The bullets were 55 grain. If I get some 556 ammo in a heavier grain, should my groups get tighter? The twist rate is 1 in 8. Barrel length again is 24 inch bull. Have any of you experienced this?

Mr. Luckypants

Mine shoots about 1" for 10 shot groups. :)

Ok, sorry for rubbing it in. If you reload then use 69grn bullets. If not, then try some Federal Gold Medal in 69grns. But first I would check your scope setup. Make sure everything is down tight. Oh and have another shooter shoot. See if they also get 10" groups. What trigger do you have on it? I have Geissele SSA on mine. Makes a huge difference.

JustGuy

Banned
10" group with 223 even factory, wow. Something must be wrong with scope/rings or barrel/receiver attachment. Something definitely is not tight. maybe defective scope.

dunderee

My scope is tight that was the first thing I checked. I'm a good shot and I do reload, it's just 223 556 doesn't seem worth reloading. It's the first time out. It was cheep 55 gr wolf ammo. I'm hoping that it's the ammo.

Montaj629

Get some quality Ammo and it might do the trick. I dont reload 556 and have found factory ammo is pretty dang good. Definitely nothing wrong with reloading it though

inchr48

My bolt gun wouldn't group the Wolf, but is an easy 1 MOA with other ammo. I say try something different. What glass you using? Looking to put something on a 556 upper I just got.

solus

I reload 223 for 1/4 the cost; its worth reloading it, plus its more accurate. As for your grouping i Dont know what it could be you didnt give much info. Besides what your rifle is and what ammo you are shooting. I would not shoot wolf ammo out of AR unkess is was the wolf brass cases. The steel cases will expand and jam in the chamber. Ive seen it happen to many different AR rifles. Wolf ammo works great in russian guns. How are you shooting your rifle? Rest, prone etc. What scope are you using? Have you let anyone else shoot your rifle? Also did you build it yourself or was it a manufactured rifle/ upper. Ive had bad uppers that needed to be evened out at where the upper meets the barrel. My 2nd AR upper i bought had this issue. I was shooting all over the place. I took it to someone and the guy took the time to show me what was going on.

dunderee

Shooting from a bench using bipod, very sturdy. Scope is a brand new redfield 6x18. Very clear. I think I'm going to have the upper checked. Solus is making sense..

Mr. Luckypants

You can shoot wolf ammo. If this is metal casing then shoot regular brass rounds about every 4th round or so. This will basically allow all the burned powder to absorbed onto the brass so your wolf ammo won't get stuck. Metal casing doesn't expand like brass which leaves powder residue buildup in your chamber and eventually causes a stuck case.

quaildeath

Shooting from a bench using bipod, very sturdy. Scope is a brand new redfield 6x18. Very clear. I think I'm going to have the upper checked. Solus is making sense..
May suggest, torquing the barrel nut down to spec before taking it in. Shoot it, then see.

solus

Take it to someone who might know what the problem is or could fix it. I think its the barrel to upper connection. Could be a loose lock ring like someone suggested.

JustGuy

Banned
I shoot Wolf ammo out of my Savage axis 223. one big hole or clover leaf out to 100. My savage for some reason likes wolf or bear ammo. Anyways, it cannot be the ammo, ammo will give you 1" or 2" group, not 10". It is a gun or scope, even if it is readfield it might be some problem with it. Start to eliminate problems fro easy to more comlicated. The easiest and most obvious is scope/ring. Try to use another pair. Then go for more complicated..

dunderee

I changed ammo and my groups are now under 2 inches at 100 I'm happy with that it opens up at 200 to 31/2 inches. With 556 federal

solus

Yea wolf is bottom of the barrel ammo. Ive seen the cases get stuck in barrels soo many times in AR15s. Simply put i think its the lack of metal expansion and causing blow back around the case. Wolf=dirty chambers

Top Bottom