6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for elk ?

arizona jim

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a very good condition semi custom 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser for daughter to use. She has been drawn again for elk & I would like to get her out of her .243 and ito something a little bigger for elk. Recoil is an issue.

I know it will be fine for her deer hunt, but wonder about elk ? It is a step up from the .243 and will shoot a 140 grn. bullet. I am having a hard time finding a good website that shows the avaiability, and ballistics of different 6.5x55 ammo.

What do you all think ?

wmidbrook

Reaction score
My father in-laws best buddy was a game warden up in Idaho. His favorite rifle was his Model 70 in 6.5x55. He'd taken many deer out to 400 yds with it. Also shot many elk with it.

BDB

Reaction score
I loved it for deer but can't speak to it for elk. It has been a long time since I had that gun and haven't had the need for looking at the ballistics since I sold it. My guess is that, sure it will work (shot placement) but not many folks would list it as a good choice unless there weren't many options. Just a guess though.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
I've got my gramps 6.5 Mannlicher-Schonauer that killed countless deer and a few elk. It will do the job on elk IF you put the shot in the right spot (or does that go without saying?).

arizona jim

Reaction score
Well she will be using it for cow elk, and I will ensure the shots stay under 150 yds.

It looks like Lapua & Norma both make a 155 Grn. bullet that they push out out at 2560 FPS. The are showing the energy on those at around 1800 ft/lbs at 200 yds.

This sounds a lot better than the .243 she has now, all she has to do is place her shot well.

iceman99

Reaction score
The 6.5X55 is not a very flat shooter and has a case head size .003" larger than a .308, and it is these two facts that have kept the cartridge from becoming more popular in N. America.

The sectional density of ~140Gr. bullets will be very good and you'll not have a problem with penetration compared to any other cartridge below a .338 Win.

Bullet drop would be a factor on long shots - not relevant based on your comments.

Great cartridge!

Top Bottom