• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

6 Day Eastern Sierra Trip

coff20

I recently spent six days doing some back packing and fly fishing up in the sierras with a buddy of mine. We had a very nice trip with fairly decent weather. We saw some beautiful lakes and (thankfully) only one mosquito. It was my first big fly fishing trip, I decided to use mostly flies I tied myself(a lot of which were patterns I kind of made up), and I think I did pretty well(admittedly I've heard the fish up there will bite about anything, but still I'm proud of the fish I caught).

Anybody else use squirrel fur to tie flies? I happened to acquire the tail of a pesky eastern grey squirrel and I used it for tying tails on quite a few flies. They all seemed to work well for me. Does anybody know how much the tail of a fly really matters in comparison to the body and hackle?pine creek pass 184.jpgpine creek pass 186.jpgsierras 9.jpgsierras 8.jpgsierras 7.jpgsierras 5.jpgsierras 4.jpgsierras 3.jpgsierras 2.jpgsierras 1.jpg

Doubletap

congrats on a great trip
beautiful pics nice fish

gotta love the sierras
pics of your flies?

coff20

Thanks for the comment guys.

Doubletap, here's a couple of my flies. I was pretty much just fishing generic looking dry flies. The first has a tail made of squirrel tail, a herl body, a deer wing, and a white and black hackle. The second has a squirrel tail, a red synthetic dubbed body, white and black mallard flank wing, and an orange hackle. Another fly I used that worked really well, especially when it was windy in the afternoon, was kind of a humpy variation I tied. It had an orange floss body with a black and white palmered hackle underneath the deer hair hump. It had an orange hackle as well. I don't have a picture because I lost it and it was the only one I tied.
View attachment 77607View attachment 77606View attachment 77608

Top Bottom