6 Volt for MS20

Rooter

Reaction score
I understand that the MS20 with a 6 volt battery will outlast the RS PIR with 9 volt, but can I use a 9 volt with the MS20 and still get it to work?  If it will work are ther any mods that will be needed and how long can I hope to get out of the battery?  I like the cost of the MS20 sensor, but don't like the idea of giving up so much space and weight.  I know over the course of the life of the unit the savings in battery purchases would be better with the 6 volt but I still would like to try it.

Curtiss

Reaction score
The MS 20 board will work fine with the 9 volts. The amount of time that the 9 volt battery will work I dont know. But you can put two or more in the unit and you should get good time out of it. The more that the sensor works the less time that you will get out of the batteries. It will have a draw at doing nothing but waiting, but will use more when working.

homer

Reaction score
If your going to use a 9 volt battery with the ms-20 you'll have to use a 9 vdc relay (rs part # 275-005). this relay will also work with a 12 volt batt. Good luck.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
rooter
Im currently using the 9volt w/ms20. I wire 3 in paralell. and i think that figures out to be 47 days with the draw of the ms20.  i leave mine in the woods for 4 weeks at a time and ive never had problems with the batteries running out.  Just be sure when you change the 9 volts change them all no just one or two, because the lowest volt batt will drain the others down  when wired in paralell.  I will be going to the 4 c batteries  in series because they give approx 156 days from what the ms20 draws.  the 9 volts will work.

Top Bottom