6 volt for Regent/Mainstay PIR

Reaction score
I tried the Radio Shack Part #275-240A relay and soldered wires to the coil and N.O. contacts.  I can't get the board to switch the relay.  When I hook up the relay direct to the battery it works.  Does this board for sure work with 6 volt battery?  What relay should I use?  I am building two cameras and the 9 volt version is working fine

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I AM FAIRLY NEW AT THIS TOO JEFF AND BY NO MEANS AN ELECTRONIC GURU LIKE SOME OTHERS HERE ON THIS BOARD.  I THINK THE MOST LOGICAL ANSWER IS THAT YOUR RELAY IS A 9 VOLT RELAY AND THE 6 VOLT BATTERY ISN'T ENOUGH TO TRIP THE RELAY.

Reaction score
No it is a 5 vdc relay that accepts up to a maxium voltage of 6.5 vdc.  I get the voltage to the wires without the relay connected but when I solder in the wires to the coil posts, the voltage drops to about 0.5vdc.  Not sure why but that is the problem.  The board is working otherwise and the other board I am building uses a 9vdc relay with a 9 vdc battery and works fine.  the coil resistance on the 5 vdc relay is 56 ohms and the coil resistance on the 9 vdc relay is 500 ohms?:confused-yellow::confused-yellow::confused-yellow:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jeff

The problem is the Coil of that relay requires 90 ma's to pull it in and I don't think the MS20 driver transistor supplies that much current using a 6volt battery.  

Altho you could probably reduce the 100K (R28) resistor going to the drivers's base (Q4) I think the best solution is to replace that relay with RS #  275-232, a 5volt reed relay whose coil only draws 20ma's.

Here is a pix to show how I did it, the relay is installed upside down with lead extensions to the MS20 board.

http://content.communities.msn.com/JessesT...xs1.msnw?Page=4

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 5:30 am on Oct. 18, 2001)

Reaction score
Thanks for that.  It worked fine.  What is the easiest and cheapest timer to use for the MS20 to get a delay between pics?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Altho I still have not built one, looks to me like the JoeD timer would be the easiest and has some extra features.

This timer should be able to run off the MS20's internal voltage regulator as discussed in another post called "Tinhorn Question"

Tinhorn

Top Bottom