???????

bloodsports

Reaction score
Ok, you guys got me intrestead.  Iam going to give this coyotes/bobcat hunting a try.  I have just a few question and would be gratefull if anyone could answer them.

1.  Could you bait coyotes/bobcats?
2.  Are there any bobcats in the foot fills of Taft?
3.  Is it legle to use  rifles aroud Taft.  
4.  What calls do you recommend?

I will post my results....  Thanks

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
1) No reason to, just call them in.  It is legal while trapping, don't know about hunting.
2) Probably.
3) BLM land abounds near there so I don't see why not.
4) I use electronic and some old hand calls so my recommendations wouldn't help unless you want to take the plunge.  However, a Johnny Stewart tape and a camoflauged boom box would work.

FYI:

You need to purchase Bobcat tags from the DFG if you do not have a trapper's license (about $10.50 I believe).

A good site on the basics of calling is The Coyote Gods

Hope this helps some.

Eric

grtwythunter

Reaction score
bloodsports- I have seen bobcats on the far side of Taft on my way to Carrizo Plain. They have always been on private property, but I am sure there are some on public land around there.
  As far as calls I have 2 Circe-jackrabbit and cottontail, a Lohman triple tone, and a mouse squeaker. All of them have kills to their credit.
  I agree with Eric about baiting...with a little calling practice there is no need.
Good luck!!!         Scott

songdog

Reaction score
Like Eric said, no real reason to bait.  It's better to sound like bait.  Plus, plastic calls don't have fleas or start to stink after a day in the back of the truck.

Yes, there are bobcats there.  You'll probably find a lot more coyotes than bobcats but they are there.

I'm not aware of any "shotgun only" zones up there but it's still worth checking.  Even if there are, you might do just as well with a shotgun as a rifle.  90% of the coyotes I've called in and shot have been within 100 yards and probaby 75% of them have been within 50 yards or shotgun range.

Just about any hand call would work.  I got desperate one time and had to use a duck call (blown like a predator call).  The coyote may have been more curious than hungry but it doesn't matter when he's 50 yards out.  I'd try this before shelling out a couple hundred bucks for an electronic caller and tapes.  I've been doing it for years and still haven't bought one.  They're nice for bobcats since you normally have to call longer (15-30 minutes) but for coyotes, I actually prefer a hand call.  Lots more control over the sound and sequence.

Just remember to sit still and watch the wind.  Camo is great but the best head to toe pattern in the world won't make up for fidgeting around in the bushes or having the wind at your back.

Good luck!

paulc

Reaction score
this bob cat thing is getting me curious.. how long is the season?  who do you order the tags from?  

song dog, how often can you get a bob cat.. what would you consider success... 3-4 outings before you connect?? are there areas within a couple hours of riverside?
thanks in advance

Fubar

Reaction score
PaulC You can get the tags from the DFG. You have Bobcats in the San Bernardino National Forest.           Fubar

songdog

Reaction score
Paulc - bobcat season is from the middle (roughly) of October to the end of February.  You can get 5 tags from the DF&G for about $10.

Bobcats are called in much less frequently than coyotes.  Probably 10:1 or so.  Now, that's based on just overall calling on my part.  You can change that ratio by where and how you call.  Although there are still cats out in the desert, you'll find a lot more of them in the thicker stuff at higher elevations.  Call there more often and the ratio to coyotes would go down significantly since they prefer the desert.

I average one critter per every 4-5 stands.  That's average remember.  I've had days where you couldn't do anything wrong and called in 8-10 coyotes in a single day.  I've also had dry spells where 25 stands in a row didn't produce anything (that I could see).

On that note, you'll call in a number of bobcats that you don't see too.  All you have to do is pick one out of the bushes 50 yards out where you can barely recognize it but you've seen something move and it doesn't look quite right... if you're lucky enough to see that one, think about how many you don't see.  They generally don't come busting in like a coyote but sneaking in.  They also like to sit in bushes just out of shotgun range when I have a shotgun in hand.

I normally end the season with my 5 tags filled but I also don't target them exclusively.  If you wanted to you could get that number higher but you'll get a lot of coyotes and foxes along the way.  If you're targeting bobcats exclusively also, you'll have to pass on a fox or two that you call in.  They're generally in the same area and will respond much quicker.  Passing on a fox at point blank range with the hope that a bobcat is on his way is where they get that "one in the hand vs. two in the bush" expression as far as I'm concerned.

If I go back and look at some old log books, I get a bobcat per about every 50-60 calls without specifically targeting them.  When you do get one though, it's a lot of fun.  The SoCal cats around here are really beautiful.  Like this one

Good luck - let us know how you do.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Songdog,  How often and how long do you call when your set up in a blind?  Iam going to give this a try on Tue. evening around Kern Refuge.  I have seen alot of coyotes on some public land around the Refuge.  Then on Wed. I wil be hunting Ducks.

thanks,,

songdog

Reaction score
If I'm calling coyotes I only stay for 10-15 minutes.  If I'm calling bobcats I'll stick it out for 30-40 minutes.

I call more frequently than most people I've hunted with... at least for bobcats.  A couple of times I've been able to see the bobcat coming in from a ways off.  Every time I stopped calling, he stop walking.  I'd start calling, he'd start walking.  So the more I called the closer he got.

Coyotes, on the other hand, don't seem to need as much encouragement.  Once they hear it and decide they want it, they're coming in no matter what and usually running.  Those that hang out 250 yards our almost always are call wise and have been shot at before.

I do try and avoid calling if the critter is close (less than 100 yards) and looking at me while stopped.  They know exactly where you are, trust me.  If he's stopped and looking to find out what I am, I'll normally shut up.  I'll start calling again once he puts his head down or takes a step closer.  No sense in giving him any more help than he already has.  Also, use this time when they're moving with their head down to get your gun up and ready.  If you do it whey they're trying to pick you out of the bush they'll bolt for sure.

Good luck!

paulc

Reaction score
thanks songdog.. excellent post like always..
i ordered a cabelas electronic caller and i am psyched to use it..  i have gone out a couple times with mouth calls with no success and was most likely to impatient to give up on them.. i may have had bad set ups.. one time it was very windy and cold so i dont know if that was part of the problem..
thanks

Top Bottom