$700 Budget For Two Hunters With 1 Pig Each Throughout CA

Squealpiggy

Reaction score
I'm looking to take my friend hog hunting as a bachelor's party gift and was wondering if someone can put me in the right direction to make this happen. I prefer doing a self-guided two day hunt on someone's ranch or property. If you have any leads for private property owners throughout CA with a pig problem, I would love to hear about them in PM. I also checked Bryson Resort and they seem okay to do a 1 or 2 day hunt, but what do you honestly suggest within my budget? We are both very seasoned hunters and of course it's hunting, but I want my friend to really have a strong 85%+ chance to at least see one. We would be coming up from around the South Bay area. Thanks.

ltdann

Reaction score
I haven't heard the Bryson's pigs have come back. They were gone for the longest time. The figures I see for a guided pig hunt is $600 plus for 1 hunter. Not saying that there aren't deals to be had, just haven't heard any recently. Where are you located and how far you willing to drive?

Squealpiggy

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. We live in So Cal. near Torrance. For Bryson, I only used their site as a reference. I never called to really check what the population there is like. It says $200 per person per day, which is not bad... but it all comes down to whether or not they have a healthy population of pigs. I would be willing to drive about 400 miles at most I suppose for a successful trip. I really want my friend to get one.

Planetcat

Reaction score
I did a self guided hunt with Tim Lockwood of Lockwood hunting services a few years ago. He's up in Hopland which sounds like it's farther than you want to go. Three hunters, two got pigs, third guy missed one at 50 yards. Tim's a good guy. Nice property, but self guided on fairly steep wooded terrain. He's got some youtube videos of pig hunts, too.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Wish you luck with that goal. Going to be a up hill battle. Pig hunts out here will run 600-2000 per hunter in California. You can find a place or two that will do 100 up front and 400-500 kill fee. So you could both hunt for 200 bucks if you don't kill anything. It also means you could get one pig and both hunt for 600-700 if you can find this kind be of deal. I do not know anyone off hand that is offering that right now. But lots of guys here that may jump in to help a little. Best of luck and congrats to your buddy.

Squealpiggy

Reaction score
The $100 up front one does not seem too bad, do you have their number by any chance? Feel free to PM!

Wild1

Reaction score
I don't use guides, so I've never used Tom, but he's widely considered the best in the business. (831) 385-3003

I have see him completely skin a fat hog in less than 10 minutes.

ltdann

Reaction score
I don't use guides, so I've never used Tom, but he's widely considered the best in the business. (831) 385-3003

I have see him completely skin a fat hog in less than 10 minutes.
+1. I watched him gut a pig in 33 seconds, I timed. He used a pen knife

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Squealpiggy

Reaction score
I will call Tom sometime today. Thank you all for the input. You folks are great. As always, seeking any input. No Big Horn Canyon Ranch. I don't mean to discredit them, but it's not my style of hunting. I need fair chase and large acreage if you know what I mean...

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Well I've heard its harder with a bow to hunt there, I've never been there yet but have heard mixed things...

Wild1

Reaction score
I don't mean to discredit BHCR either, but it is a canned hunt. It might be ok for a youngster getting his first "kill", but it's not "hunting".

DAQ80

Reaction score
I did a hunt with Tom about 5 or 6 years ago. He's very good at what he does. So good that you should probably plan some other activities for that weekend, because it's likely your buddy won't take long to fill his tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common Sense

Reaction score
Don't think both of you will get a good guided hunt for $700. Since it sounds like you want your buddy to fill his tag, book him with Tom and you tag along as a non-hunter; but make it a two day affair. Spend one day hunting the public land nearby that holds pigs; you probably won't score, but you never know!

CottonwoodHunting

Reaction score
I'm looking to take my friend hog hunting as a bachelor's party gift and was wondering if someone can put me in the right direction to make this happen. I prefer doing a self-guided two day hunt on someone's ranch or property. If you have any leads for private property owners throughout CA with a pig problem, I would love to hear about them in PM. I also checked Bryson Resort and they seem okay to do a 1 or 2 day hunt, but what do you honestly suggest within my budget? We are both very seasoned hunters and of course it's hunting, but I want my friend to really have a strong 85%+ chance to at least see one. We would be coming up from around the South Bay area. Thanks.
Did you ever figure out something for you and your buddy? I might be able to work something out for you guys.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Hey Erik. Good to see you around. How's things been on the ranch. Hope you are having a good year.

REM3006

Reaction score
Save your money. Don't go to Bryson Resort. Pigs are gone long time.

Taylor31

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get ahold of Bryson Resort? I live in Lockwood and fell behind on my depredation do I game alitterof 40-50 pound Berkshire/Wild mix piglets I'm trying to get sold. EDITED Just called Bryson and they have pigs coming in. I'm not far from them and I see wild hogs pretty regularly, this year should be a good hog hunting year.

Last edited:

julian999

Reaction score
You can try selling it at the exotic high fence operation that borders fort hunter liggett north of Jolon road.
Good luck .

Top Bottom