70s camo and a SoCal fox

songdog

Reaction score
No comments on the camo overalls in this pic .  This was down at Mt. Laguna in San Diego last week.  The camo overalls were purchased at the Walmart disguised as a trailer out at the parking lot at Wister one year when I left all my camo at home.  I'm convinced that he has one of everything in that trailer.

Rifle is a Ruger 77/22H in .22 Hornet with a Leupold 2-7x.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Hey songdog  are those the new Armani cammo :laffin-yellow:

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
Songdog,
I'm wondering what part of Mt. Laguna you were hunting in.  I bow hunt deer down there and have always thought Guns were not allowed.  

songdog

Reaction score
I think that the name of the road is Sunrise Hwy that goes up the hill from the I-8.  On one side of the road it's bow only (left), the other is bow/rifle (right).  Down towards the Kitchen Creek area is rifle as well.  Do pay attention to what is bow/rifle as there are some homes scattered through there as well as a ranger station that frowns on you not knowing.

Fubar

Reaction score
Mt Laguna is inside the Laguna Recreation area which is archery hunting only. Both sides of the road near Mt Laguna are inside the Laguna Recreation area. The Sunrise Scenic Byway is archery hunting only form Crouch Valley North to just past the trailhead at Pioneer Mail.                   Fubar

songdog

Reaction score
I need to confirm the names of the roads but I'm pretty sure that it's Sunrise Hwy that we turned off of.  Once at the top of the climb on Sunrise you turn off to the right through a forest service gate just past one of the forest service buildings.  About a mile or two down this dirt road you come to a camp ground (sign and a dirt area).  The sign clearly says no shooting except in legal pursuit of game animals in season (no target shooting).

I can call a friend and confirm street names if it's helpful?

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
Thanks guys....If I'm understanding you two correctly, I'm taking it that the Rec area is closed to guns but the rest of the mountain is open.  I have to admit, I've seen several Fox and Coyotes up there, but have never been close enough to get a clear shot with the bow.  I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from you all on this coyote hunting.  Sounds kinda fun to me....

Fubar

Reaction score
Mnfshrman Yes the Laguna Recreation area is only open to archery hunting. You can hunt with firearms around it in the National Forest and BLM. There are a lot of Lions in this area so be careful.           Fubar

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
FUBAR, you are 100% correct about the lions...I've seen a bunch of signs, but haven't had the luck to see one in person

Rob

Reaction score
Songdog, was that pelt any good?  We have not had much cold weather.  Although from the Pine trees it looks like you were not in the canyons.  What's your call of choice?  You get many cats?  I put out my game camera a while back and ended up with a bunch of fox shots.  Lots of fox around here.

songdog

Reaction score
Pelt was pretty good.  It was cold up there (on top).  If the hides aren't that great then I normally turn them into fly tying material for myself and friends.  Nothing goes to waste.

To be perfectly honest, I don't pay too much attention to what call I'm using.  I seem to have enough of them in my coat pockets, glove box, rolling around under the seat, etc. that I tend to just grab what's closest.  I've got a few that I like better than others but that's not really based on the type.  More the style (diaphram calls that keep your hands free, etc.).

A friend took three bobcats last year in the same area.  There are quite a few up there.  Also the big cats like Fubar says so be careful if you're calling alone.

Fubar

Reaction score
Terrierman Welcome to Jesses Forum. I didnt really notice any Fox holes when i was there. That doesnt mean much though, because i was concentrating on looking for other critters. I did notice there were a lot of lion tracks.                       Fubar

Terrierman

Reaction score
Thanks Fubar it seems like a cool place.

Yea, that area has always had lions thats why I was wondering. thanks.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom