777 or Pyrodex?

Rick

Reaction score
I have only used my muzzleloader once for an elk hunt in New Mexico. 130 gr of Pyrodex pellets behind a 340 gr Powerbelt worked just fine. Now I am going back to NM this year for another ML elk hunt.

I've heard that 777 works better and is easier to clean than Pyrodex. I think 777 only comes in 50 gr pellets, so I would either have to use 100 or 150 gr of it, or go to loose powder. I really like the convenience of the pellets and the faster reload in the field.

What has been your experience with these two powders, preferably in the pellet form?

Thanks!

Drayton

Reaction score

Love that Triple 7! Never used pellets though. I do have a bunch of Pyrodex that I will not be using because Triple 7 is easy to clean, much less fouling and I use less powder.

No more rotten egg smelling ML cleaning around here!

azbiggame

Reaction score
Most will agree,that once a "Smokepole" is loaded with 777,Pyrodex is never used again.As the above reply stated,ease of cleaning and NO more "Rotten Egg" odor,again.Try it YOU will like it.Two 50 grn pellets and a 300 grn Barnes X .50 cal "Sabot" has worked for ME twice in N.M. for ELK.Good Luck

Rick

Reaction score
Triple Se7en - That's great to know - that Triple 7 comes in both 30 and 50 gr pellets. We found that various combinations of 30 and 50 gr pellets worked best in our various muzzleloaders. I haven't actually bought any yet. Fowler's is by my office, so I will try to get over there on Friday and see what they have in stock.

Top Bottom