777 vs Pyrodex

THBailey

Reaction score
I have been using pyrodex RS in my .54 New Englander for some time with moderate success. I picked up some 777 and will give it a try. Anyone done a comparison? Will point of impact change? Thanks.

Triple Se7en

Reaction score
Roughly 70 grains of 777 will do the job that 90 grains of Pyrodex did using 400 grain conicals. That's a rough estimate... some rifles see a 65-90 grain difference using the heavies.... some 75-90 using lighter weight sabot/bullets. All these estimates I gave are based on loose powders only.

rodkehl

Reaction score
I just began using 777 FFG in my Pedersoli 12ga SxS recently and like it a lot. It even sounds different, has more of a CRACK when it goes off. Recoils a bit more too I would say. Is very clean. I shot some at night once to see what it looked like and didn't notice all of the embers of partial burned powder spewing out behing the shot. In my opinion it burns very efficiently and cleanly. It smokes like the other stuff, but the smoke smells different. When you clean the gun, the water in the sink looks like it is still clean and the sulphur smell is not there. I think I will be shooting this stuff in all of my BP weapons.

THBailey

Reaction score
I've got a Pedersoli 12ga SxS also. What load do you use with the 777?

AMMOe

Reaction score
Hodgdon's website (www.hodgdon.com) has a slew of 777 loading data for most rifles and shotguns. Seems to me that they are saying to reduce blackpowder loads 15% when using 777 powder. ~AMMOe

rodkehl

Reaction score
In the Pedersoli shotgun, I've been using 70 gr of 777, a card over powder wad, wonder wad over that and then 1 1/8 oz of shot then the over shot thin card wad. I would be interested in seeing other "recipes" used in these scatterguns.

martin

Reaction score
On the Cabela's website, they have a disclaimer on the 777 pellets that they are to be used only in muzzleloaders using the 209 ignition. I've also heard (secondhand) that it was hard to ignite the powder using caps--I don't know if they were using pellets or loose powder. Anybody got any input?

PoorAim

Reaction score
I have had no problems getting the loose powder 777 to ignite with a
standard no. 11 cap. I have used it for both shotgun and rifle loads.

Interesting note on the 12ga. When I first got my shotgun barrel, I lost my BP measure, and went on the internet trying to find a way to convert something I
could weigh/measure into BP volume since none of my local stores had a measure and I wanted to hunt that weekend. What I found was that a good general rule is to use equal volume BP to the shot you are using. I used this (starting with light 1oz loads) and it worked out pretty well. I later measured the actual 777 volume
to make sure I was in a safe zone (which it was). I ended up getting valley quail, mtn quail, and chukar using just the shot measure for both powder and shot.

-PA

Hylander

Reaction score
Howd'y:
I have Crono'ed Both out of my .50 T/C Hawkin 32" GM Barrel
.495 rd. ball, .020 pillow ticking with Pam lube, CCI #11 Mag. Cap
70 gr. ff Pyrodex = 1,550 fps
70 gr. ff 777 = 1,780
That is a gain of 230fps

Also Accuracy is great, And I have never had a problem of it not going Bang.
It is all I use now also the fff 777 is great in my .50 and I can use it in my
1858 Revolver, so I only have to carry one powder.
Also my freind uses fff 777 in his .50 Flint lock with best results.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom