870 info

Txlongshot

Reaction score
I have a 870 magnum that I owuld like to get a rifled slug barrel for. Can anyone give me any info on who makes the most accurate barrel for this gun?

Shot

Reaction score
remington, themselves, make a pretty nice slug barrel, and its not that expensive.

Txlongshot

Reaction score
How accurate is the HASTINGS RIFLED SLUG BARREL What type of groups could I expect at 100 yards?

Backcountry

Reaction score
With my Mossberg smooth-bore I can get 6" groups at 100" using Federal rifled slugs.

Note that the barrel for sale on eBay is itself rifled... you don't really want to shoot "rifled slugs" through that... it won't hurt it, but it won't do your accuracy any good either. Shooting saboted rounds through either a Hastings or Remington rifled barrel should yield groups on the order of sub 3". By the way, that's a quality barrel and a fair deal.

Have fun, but be prepared for a shoulder battering when sighting in.

Backcountry

p.s. IMPORTANT: Unless your 870 receiver is designed for 3" magnums, DO NOT shoot 3" magnums in a barrel chambered for 3" magnums... suffice it to say, "you'll put yer eye out".

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Was reading on a ballistics page that the average slug gun kicks the equivalent of being hit by a 93 MPH fastball.
No wonder i have a bruise from the range Saturday.

Top Bottom