8x57 Hunting Loads

Muir

Reaction score
I just got done working up loads for a SAECO 200 grain cast bullet in my Husqvarna Model 640 bolt action. I sized these bullets to .325" and heat treated them, then lubed them with Tamarack 50/50 Hi Temp lube. Using 51.5 grains of IMR 4350 I am getting 1" for three shots at 50 yards using open sights, and off hand I can knock bowling pins over at 100 at about 8 out of 10 success rate. The rounds hit 3 inches above the font blade at that distance. I have no leading that won't come out with a dry brush and a patch.

I believe this is the limit for this alloy and lube, but it sure shoots. I'll be testing them on deer this fall.~Muir

Last edited:

Muir

Reaction score
I chronographed these 51.5 grain loads today. I got 2250fps for an average so I still have a little room on the velocity end. Accuracy was,again, excellent.~Muir

Muir

Reaction score
THis is my final load for the Husqvarna 648 rifle in 8x57. The load is 52.0 of 4350 under a 206 grain bullet. This group was shot at 60M using a forehand rest. Not bad for old eyes! Deer season is starting on Sunday. I think I'm ready.~Muir

myfriendis410

Reaction score
That's both excellent accuracy and respectable velocity for a cast bullet. Is the bullet gas checked? What alloy?

Muir

Reaction score
The alloy is 9:1 old wheel weight / type metal. The bullet is gaschecked with Hornady GCs and heat treated. I have used these heat treated bullets many times on game and they work well.

The heat treating has the added benefit of annealing the gas check while it hardens the bullet. Cast Bullet Assn bench rest shooters have been annealing their gas checks for years as an accuracy technique. I have always wondered if (generally sound loading techniques aside) this aided my high speed accuracy. In any event, it doesn't hurt. I have found that these heat treated, gas checked bullets out-shoot most of my other alloy combos~Muir

472x1A/B

Reaction score
A very good grouping with iron sites. Also your bullets look like a good clean cast, with good sharp corners. How many lube grooves does the bullet have?

Muir

Reaction score
A very good grouping with iron sites. Also your bullets look like a good clean cast, with good sharp corners. How many lube grooves does the bullet have?
Thanks. The bullet has 2 lube grooves. I generally keep all lube off of the nose area. That "dirt catching/scraping" groove (a ridiculous name) on the right hand cartridge just didn't get wiped out. ~Muir

Last edited:

Muir

Reaction score
This is the rifle. Note the fixed elevation rear sight. Regulating the bullet to the sights was essential.~Muir

Muir

Reaction score
Well. Hunting season has come and gone and the 8mm Swede got the job done. I took a muley buck at 150 yards with it. The first round went low into the brisket so I had to put another in him at 80 - 90 yards. That shot pulped the heart and that was that.

Nice to have a 66 year old rifle up and running again. ~Muir

myfriendis410

Reaction score
It's one thing to hand load, it's another to cast your own bullet and work up an accurate load, THEN kill something with it.

Unfortunately I live in the Condor zone, so cannot do that, but it's diverting to punch paper and dream of living in Colorado where I could shoot a bull elk with a 520 grain hard cast bullet from my Sharps!

Muir

Reaction score
MF410: I hope it happens for you. It is a very satisfying experience.~Muir

Belch: How old is that kid in your photo now?? ~Muir (FKA, AMMOe)

Top Bottom