9000 Pheasants to be Released

Droopy

Reaction score
Desert Wildlife Unlimited and Leon Lesicka need one last push to put final touches and help patch the chicken wire over the frame that we put in last year.

This Sat. May 10th show up 7:00am to 9:00am
51 West Rutherford Road
Meet at Gibson Tools drive to the back
West of hwy 111
South of Calipatria
North of Brawley
Work is only going to be a half day.

We need about 20 Guys to help patch the awsome pen we put in last year. We have 3000 pheasants now with 3000 comming in 2 weeks the another 3000 soon after. Bring tools for chicken wire repair water and snacks provided. Get a 1st shot preview of the new upland fields and see what Leon calls the most Doves he has ever seen for this time of year.

MapMan

Reaction score
Darn! I can't make it this Saturday Droopy. Kind of short notice and I already have family commitments. I am glad to hear that Leon is still involved with the fields and the Pheasants this year. He is an incredible man for his age! I was down twice last year. Once to put up the chicken wire (you were there too) and once to hood and release some Pheasants. Let me/us all know if there is help needed in the future. Sounds like it will be another great Dove opener.....

MapMan

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Dang, I can't make it either this weekend cause I have to work. THanks for all your hard work Leon!!

ESSposse

Banned
Reaction score
Droop......
You've got to keep us posted on the when's and where's of this. Leon will have a lot of help from the crew here. Just need a little notice and we'll bust it out for him. See if you can get ANY info. on the upcomings while you're down there this weekend and spread the word.

foulshot

Reaction score
DrewP, I think you should post more often!

Don't worry fellas, we know each other.

Unfortunately I won't be able to help either. My wifes grandparents are moving this weekend and we don't want them lifting to much. Tell Leon to give a little more notice next time.

MapMan

Reaction score
Droopy,

I would like to know if Leon has acquired any more fields than he had last year, or even if has he lost some. See if you can get some info for us. Be sure to tell Leon, or John Gibson (I think that is his name, he was a nice guy too), to give a heads up next time well in advance. I would like to help out, as others would too, and I am sure Leon would give us a tour again of the fields.

Thanks

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I heard that if you released chicks tend to survive better than full gorwn birds.

Marty

Reaction score
Still working on it... Don't know if I'll be able to show or not.

MapMan

Reaction score
So Droopy, how about an update as to what went on last Saturday. Did many helpers show up to work on the pen? Did Leon give a tour of the fields? See many Doves...........

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Hey guys

Droopy only posts about once every 8 months . . . Did I just say that?

Mr. P - put down the XBOX and post up buddy, you're a wealth of knowledge.

BTW - he's a friend of mine, I gotta give him grief.

Marty

Reaction score
The turnout was not good. John came over from SD, and I brought my sons out from OC. We got a late start since the boys are hard to rouse in the morning. After a quick stop at the donut shop, we made the 225 miles in 3'10", arriving just after 9. Leon, John G., John (from SD), Carol, and Marty (and his sons) were there to greet us.

Carol and John G. had to head off to work. The rest of us jumped right in and started patching the pen while Leon and John installed insulation on the box. We called it quits at lunch time. The weather was great, and the wind was low.

After lunch, I drove my boys out to the fields. I took them over to show them Leon's work in the fields. Then we found a spot to pop a few targets.

We did not see any dove flying during mid-day. And we weren't down early enough to tell about the morning patterns.

We were lucky to get the off-season pass out of the house, and took full advantage of it. The boys had a blast helping with the pen and seeing the pheasant chicks. They've tagged along on the DFG family hunts in the past, and are eager to start again in the fall. That made me happy.

Top Bottom