A big problem with the Poloraoid

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I pulled my Cams out this weekend and was shocked to see the Date LCD on the back of the cameras damaged due to freezing temps.  I had them out in central Mississippi for the last two weeks and it got down to about 15 degrees last week.  

Both of the date LCDs have splotches on them from where the liquid in the LCD froze and burst from the pixel. Its still usable and I can make out the text, but I wonder if it got colder would it damage it even more.  Has anyone else had problems with other cameras?  I did not have my Samsung 33S out at that time, but I may just put it in the freezer to find out.  I know a couple of you have placed owls in the freezer with no apparant damage, but is a freezer below 15 degrees?  

I am just curious since I live in one of the warmer states, unlike Davered who probably sees 20 below sometimes.  

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
On my first microcontroller cam, I had an LCD to read back the events from the data logger.  It only was rated to 32 degrees F, so I had to design a handheld reader that I could take with me.  I was worried if I left it in the woods, it would freeze.  I know there are a few other LCDs on the market that go down to 20 degrees, but that still seems like it would cause problems.  

davered1

Reaction score
jaggermax,

So far all my cams haven't had anything go wrong with the LCD display.We have only hit -20 here so far but we should hit -30 somtime this month.

All but one of my cams are owls and the other is a olympus(infinity jr.)

will let you know if I encounter problems at that cold.

would have tried a polaroid but DBWORLD was hogging them on EBAY :>)

just kidding,hope to get one to try this month

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
These were the Polaroid 2400s.  The Vivitar CV also has a small LCD on the top to show camera status, but it has no time/date LCD on the back hatch.  It's just a simple point and shoot.  

Applbit

Reaction score
I had mine out for the last 2 weeks and it go below zero just about everynight.  I didnt even think about that, good thing it didnt break it!

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
I HAD ONE OUT WITH THE TEMPS BETWEEN 13 TO 16 DEGREES AT NIGHT AND THE HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S TO 30S FOR A WK.  NO PROBLEM WITH THE LCD YET.  WILL PICK UP THE CAMERA SATURDAY MORNING AND POST PROBLEMS, IF ANY.

LW

Reaction score
Jaggermax
No problems yet with my Samsung 22s, temps in low teens high in low 30's for a couple days in a row.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,
Freezing is a real problem with less expensive LCDs.   15F seems too 'warm' to have frozen though - even for a cheap display.  You're sure they were not damaged in some way??  I've had cheap displays fail in the same way at 'room' temps due to shock, impact, or heat.  Overheating and impact damage can also cause 'delayed' failure at a later time when the LCD is used under 'stress' conditions.

Did the cams come from one of those "refurbished" sellers often found through Amazon.com??
>>>>
'Yotee has reported using his Owls at -30C (about -22F) without damage.  Though I think (??) he said the LCD stopped working at -15C (+5F)

Archilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Just for the hell of it, I placed one of the two Polaroids into the freezer last night.  Pulled it out this morning and it was definatly worse.  I can hardly read the characters on it now.  It has the dark spots all over it.  It looks like it froze from the outside edges in.  I also placed my handheld cam programmer which has a 2x16 character diplay on it into the freezer at the same time.  I pulled it out and it only had very slight spots around the edges, nothing major.  Looks like I may have just gotten some Polaroids with a bad batch of LCDs.  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,
Just curious... did you have a thermometer in the freezer??  If so, what was the temperature of your test?

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I can see it now, electric socks draped over the camera's ! ! !

:eat-burger:

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Cam Trakker has optional internal heaters for the battery to give longer run times.

HUMMMMMMMMM!

Brian

Top Bottom