A big thanks for the good info

Osagehunter

Reaction score
Hey I just wanted to thank all of you for all the helpful information for building home brew game cams. Only problem is, you guys come up with better ideas all the time and I can't ever seem to finish my game cam. :smile-yellow:

I have been reading these posts for over a year and building my own camera for about the same amount of time. I finally found the time to complete my first cam a couple of weeks ago and I'm proud to say it works great! I started out using an old Vivitar which required a solenoid to accuate the shutter. I quickly realized that the Cannon Owl was a better way to go, so I did and elliminated the solenoid.  I have the Owl AF and would like to find another if anyone knows where to get them, if they're available yet. I will "hopefully" get my cam out in the woods this weekend but it's been <font color="Red">HOT</font> here in Missouri so I may wait a week or two. I will deffinitely post my first pics for you guys to see. Thanks again.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi OH,
Good to hear you finally got it working!  First one took a year - your next will probably be only 2 or 3 days!  After 5 or 10 of 'em, should only be a few hours each!

Osagehunter

Reaction score
Archilochus the first camera took so long because of guys like you that keeps coming up with better ideas for the home brew cameras. I would get my camera about done and then, I would just have to make the new changes. Really I had it done last year but made some upgrades to it this year i.e. the Owl AF and a timer. The setup works great! I set the cam up in my home and it took pictures of the family. I picked up the pictures last night and they look as good, if not better, than those I take with my $400 Nikon. :shocked-big-eyes:

Ya bigbucks, I think I'm addicted! I've already bought components for my next game camera. I have a list of people wanting me to buid them a game cam. I should have told them I bought mine and avoided the  "will you build me one?" questions.

Have any of you guys tried using small solar panels on your cams? I am thinking about adding them to my existing game cam or my new cam. What are some of your thoughts about using solar energy?

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Welcome Osagehunter,Glad to hear your cam came out fine.I can't wait to see some pics from up there in Missouri. LOL

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Congrats! Now you have some homework to do before you get that first roll developed. Learn how to post pics cause we're gonna want to see them!  :smile-wink:

Archilochus

Reaction score
On the solar panels.... To get any real juice out of them when used in the shady woods, you'd need a fairly good sized panel(s).  Would make the cam pretty obvious to "The Enemy". Even with a D-370 digital cam - if you use low power control circuits and a good sized SLA batt, there really is no need for the solar setup - your pics will most likely be used up well before the batts are flat.

But if you'd like to find more info on the subject, many informative threads have been started in the newsgroups:

sci.electronics.design and sci.electronics.basics

If you don't have a newsreader set up, or lack newsgroup access - you can use
http://groups.google.com to view and post messages.
They also offer searchable archives of past posts.

Osagehunter

Reaction score
I appreciate the greeting TND & CFB! I have some pics of a couple of real young bucks that I took with my game cam. I am going to try and post them today or tomorrow. I will be putting the cam out this weekend. My father-in-law and I are going out to deer camp this weekend to spray RoundUp on the food plot. We have a mixture of winter wheat and clover now with a healthy growth of fesue. Our (his) plan is plant Whitetail Institute clover in a couple of weeks. I don't know why, the stuff never seems to work as well as they advertise. :nope-blue:

Archilochus, I figured that someone had either tried solar or thought about it. I am thinking about buying a couple of small panels and doing some testing with them. It wouldn't cost much, just a little of my time. I'm using a 12 Vdc gell cell, which should have plenty of juice for several rolls of film. I am interested in solar for maintaining the batteries charge. Right now I'm very eager to get the camera in the woods and see what I can see.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
Osagehunter,Welcome to JHP!! we have Another from Missouri :smile-big-blue:

Osagehunter

Reaction score
Hey thanks Passthru!!! Do you visit the Conservation Cafe? I post over there occasionally, especially when it gets closer to deer season. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Osagehunter

Reaction score
OK fellas here you go. I put together my own web page today with pics. The top two are from my game camera. It was set up in our kitchen and it took some interesting pictures. These are the 2 pictures that I could post. Most of the others were of my naked 2 year streaking by running from his momma. The other pics are what I had handy and thought you might like see. I will post any new and interesting pics here in the not to distant future.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rheyer/index.html

Top Bottom