A Ground Scrape Now?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Came across a small ground scrape with the licking branch nibbled on (leaves bit off)  Never found one this early before.  The day before, my nephew and I were watching the field with binoc's about 1/4 mile back and seen several bucks in the field but in the woods next to us we heard 2 grunts....

The day b-4 that, we were on another field and a spotted fawn and doe were with a 6 pt that grunted twice as they pranced around about a hundred yards from us?????

This was in Phelps/Dent Counties

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Very strange activity for this time of year,i have found ground scrapes this early before,but i think they do it just for the heck of it more than anything,They are usually small in size,but then i never found one under a licking branch,they do say that deer will scrape and use a licking branch all year,kinda like a "I was here" type scrape,never seen one though.

StringShooter

Reaction score
Any shedding noticed yet? With this goofy climate of ours, the bucks may be going into rut before they shed their velvet. Just kidding, but it seems wierd that they would make a scrape before they shed.

marmot

Reaction score
Saw two caribou yesterday. The bull was sheding but the cow was not.

Chairman

Reaction score
My wife told me she saw a very small fawn the other day ~ and it still had it's spots!  A couple days later, a neighbor said she saw the same fawn.  Strange times (& weather), indeed....

(Edited by Chairman at 5:03 pm on Aug. 23, 2002)

hucklburry

Reaction score
I saw a doe yesterday with 3 fawns, all spotted. Snapped a couple pics, didn't turn out real well, but its the first time I can recall seeing a doe with 3 fawns. I know it happens, but don't know that I had ever seen it.

--Jim

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The bucks we seen all had velvet and there was a spotted fawn in that field too.  I stuck a cam out there but just overnight but got ZERO pix's.  We seen the ground scrape when we were leaving the field after setting up the cam.

The grunting 6 pt we seen before this ground scrape was found still had velvet too, there was a spotted fawn with that bunch also and this field was 20 miles away,  weird alright!

Tinhorn

Underclocked

Reaction score
Why are the spotted fawns unusual?  I've seen several just lately and usually do this time of year.  Now, as to the scrape and licking branch, THAT is weird.

Top Bottom