a housing tip

d91

Reaction score
hoffman electrical enclosure

Type 3R small hinged enclosure

click on the index link for Type 3R small hinged.

also, when you attach your red indicator light... screw it through a neoprene rubber faucet washer. you can get a box of twenty for a dollar. if you wonder what that looks like... check my site below. this box does not leak... the only problem i have had with weather is rain on my lenses and i am working on a hood that i can't knock off while lugging the cam through the woods.

if you know a contractor, he may be able to get you a free sample box!!! i used my architect skills to obtain two and the sales rep actually knew what i was going to do with them. electrical contractors also throw used waterproof boxes away everyday.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx D91

also, a rubber grommet makes a good LED holder too....

homer

Reaction score
d91                                                                                         I used this box for one of my cams. It works great. Vary secure.

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
Where do you buy them and how much do they cost?

What/how tool do you drill the holes?

How do you elevate the camera above the pir?

d91

Reaction score
metal hole saw works wonderfully- paint the box after cutting the holes

any electrical supply house can sell it to you. there is a contacts section on the site where you can find out who your local sales rep is, he should be able to tell you where to get it.

mine were free... they cost around 20 bucks. 25 or so.

I use closed cell foam from a railroad equipment company to mount my cameras in the box and it's tough and I get it free :rofl

i just use a chunk of it to lift the camera and to separate it from the switches because the camera fits this box perfectly.

GWHunter

Reaction score
I looked at one of these boxes and I can see how it keeps out rain but I was wondering how much of a problem is moisture since it can't be sealed tight.

Anyone had any problems with this aspect of it. And how much danger of corrosion of the electrical components is there? It seems that the dessicant bags would not last very long.

How has cam held up in this box?

I might give it a look on my next one.

d91

Reaction score
I have absolute confidence in this box. I have two cameras using it and both have been out during extended periods of rain and neither have had the least amount of moisture in them... and get this... I'm not using dessicant in them at all. I won't use anything else as a housing now. I've tried pistol cases, other electrical enclosures (one I am still using but have fashioned a flashing cap for it), and telephone junction boxes. I am sold on this box.

Top Bottom