• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

A Limit w/ one box of Steel Shot

Limited Out

A Fifteen Dove Limit with One Box of 25 Shells. I have done it with Lead, once. I was wondering if anyone has done this with Steel Shot. I didn't even come close this first half!

Common Sense

Not a dove hunter, but took my grandson out for the Mt Quail opener. Used #7 in our 20 gauges (would have preferred #6). Called it quits shortly after noon, we used less than a box of shells and came home with 16 birds. Two of the bird I got had to be shot twice!

I don't like steel being forced on us, but it seemed to work fine.

Limited Out

I'd say that's some good shootin'. I finished my limit in the same time frame as the last opener, it just took a lot more ammo. It's a challenge with steel that's for sure!

Limited Out

I have been using an Improved Modified or Modified for steel. This is what patterns best with the type ammo and the gun I am shooting it out of. This gives me the pattern density I am looking for and the most uniform patterns. I paced off one of my longer shots on the Dove opener at 57 yards with #6s. and an I.M. choke. In general for my gun the Modified is the way to go for 30 yards and under, the I.M works best for the 35+ yard shots. These are real general guidelines, it does help your success rate to have correct choke in, just don't expect miracles! The most important thing for me is to have my shot dead on from doing lots of shooting.

Top Bottom