A little help?

MBullism

Reaction score
I've heard talk of a patch, heard others talk of being addicted.  I now use terms like "gotta score another owl".   I've found myself in pawn shops, back alley camera shops and the like in search of the elusive PF dates...  My loving wife thinks I'm nuts, and my sister in law is mad at me for infecting her husband with this weakness.  I get almost the same rush from wiring my brother in laws cam as I do my own.  I visit this site at all hours, sometimes looking for specific info, mostly just cruising for a "fix" to get me by 'til I check a cam, or get more parts for the one on the bench.  I actually consider that if I only buy the twelve pack instead of the thirty pack, I’m halfway to my next RS PIR.

I find myself lying to those I love- "What are you doin' downstairs, honey?!"  "Nothing sweetheart, I'll be up in second.  Soon as the hot glue sets... I mean, er, I'll be right up."  Acting on a tip from someone on this site, I swing by service merchandise on the way home to pick up another owl… sweet success.  You all know the feeling, I can tell from your posts.  Upon arriving home, I kinda hide it behind my back, like a kid with a bad report card.  My wife looks me straight in the eye with the depth and concern of someone with a family member hooked on crack, and asks "How many this time?" “Just one” I say, trying to avoid eye contact…  Just one means I’m in control, right?

Denial is so easy.  I don’t have a problem.  I can quit anytime I want.

I need to know... How many cams do you guys run?  When can I hope this madness to end?  Five?  Ten?
I have to give my wife some hope.  Do I hit my max and burn out, or “even off “and become a “functioning cammer”?  Anybody ever kick it?  Cold turkey?  God I wish I knew where my next roll of film was coming from…

So, how many?

M

(Edited by MBullism at 10:10 pm on April 19, 2002)

max

Reaction score
Your not alone Brother!!!!!:crazeye:

homer

Reaction score
there nothing like touching them two wires together and letting it flash.

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
I've been hooked about two years now. Just cant seem to give it up. Always got to update or 'new and improve' something. Its a vicious cycle.
As a matter of fact I had a new birth just today....

Possum

Reaction score
I'm sorry.  I know just how you feel.  Sometimes the wife doesn't understand a wholesome hobby.  LOL  I stopped at three, although sometimes I am tinkering with the idea of building a digital.

Hey Boy

Reaction score
Deer Trail Cameras? What's  that?, Who Me?   NAGH     I could tell ya how many, but then I'd have to kill ya.

Only Kidding. I run 5 Homebrews and 1 DEERCAM DC-100 that better be functioning properly when I go to it. It just came back from a replacement of the circiut board.It was brand new and they told me they had a bad batch of boards.  We'll see Saturday  HEY BOY

Stever

Reaction score
Suddenly I detect a need for an excuse corner.
1) Camming is environmentally firendly.
2) Great for building manual dexterity.
3) Learened a better understanding of the other half by developing a new level of patience at film counters.
4) Great excersise checking cam every two hours a mile away. I know I drive but I do half to walk up to it.
5) Supporting the economy. Did I hear that Kodak stock went up since JHP.
6) Keep going we need all the scuses to keep us in the game. Does anyone know if this is a recognized Olympic Event yet?
LOL

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
MBullism,
 I run 2,but im giving 1 to a good freind today and that means ill have to replace it with another.
 One way i slowed down is to find other things to build,feeder,deer cart ect..ect....
 Next i want to try the Digital,so ill have to save a bit for it,that will slow me down agian.

woodseye

Reaction score
I tried Cammers Anonymous and we may have made some progress except one of the members brought his latest pics and then we had to explain to the instructer how to build one......one thing led to another and next week we gotta help him put it out...........Hmmmm. I think 8 would be about my limit,after that I would forget where they all were. My wife is very understanding just not about cams. When she gets to lookin at me with too much worry in her eyes,I tell her to look on the bright side,I could be the first to get a pic of a Yeti and we could become famous. Who knows I may really get a pic of brad pitt and then I could trade it for some film.....or another camera...........................

woods

Dbworld

Reaction score
I found this site in December....I have 6 already in various configurations.  My only regret is the polaroid 2400ff.  But I can work with them/  One doesn't have a dedicated camera yet.  I'm saving it for a digital upgrade.....

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Ha Ha MBullism, you tell a good story,

I built my 1st about 5 years ago, it has a solenoid and I knew I needed a cam with a SWITCH for the shutter button instead of Manual, it'd solve a lot of problems.  I didn't find any until I found the original site located on the Tenn Hunting Forum.

THERE IT WAS, the OWL PF.  

Went down to Wally-World and bought 2 (one for my cousin) and over to Radio Shack and bought a bunch of Timer Components.  It took me all day to build the 2 stage timers and the next day my cousin came over and we completed both cams, one for him and one for me....

I mean all I needed was 2, Old Ponderous (the original) and the Owl.....  Okay, maybe a 2nd One would be neat, a loaner,  but when I went to W-M, I got home with 2 somehow,  the other Owl must have flown into the shopping cart.

So then I had 3,  perfect,  2 for me (I retired Old Ponderous by then) and a Loaner....

Ok, the Loaner caused me to build 8 or 10 for the guys who borrowed it (but I sold most of them to those guys for $175) and I built half that many for relatives for costs ($106) (got way too many relatives)

Then my sister calls, she seen a close out on the Owls for $20 apiece.  If i'd build her a camera with the $20 cam she just got, she'd tell me where they were.......BLACKMAIL....... Ok, OK,  I Did it and she told me it was a Wal-Mart over near where my Wife worked.....I called my wife and asked her to see if she could run over there and get them  "ALL" before they were gone.....She heard such Panic in my voice that she "Did It" ! ! !   4 more at $20 each...now I got 7 cams.....Shush,  don't let anybody know I got-um,  I told them I can't build any more cam's because I don't know where to get the Owls any more......

Tinhorn

MBullism

Reaction score
It sounds as if they're may be hope for me...  No one above has admitted to more than ten... (operative word being "admitted")

I've got two done, third almost and collecting misc. parts for number four.  I've got it in my head that five is a good round number.  We'll see.

I honestly thought I'd build one, and that would be fun, but I hadn't even got pics back and was already building #2...

Maybe this wasn't the best place to seek help afterall..  You all understand, but your all enablers as well.

Thanks to all for my affliction.  I wouldn't change a thing...

Don

Reaction score
I am with you guys.  Just started, only have one done and started working on a digital.  My wife asked me last night if she could put some of that stuff on the dinner table in a box.  She said she would keep it organized.  I told her I would put it in box today.  Maybe she'll forget and I won't have to move.

(Edited by Don at 2:56 pm on Feb. 5, 2002)

Hey Boy

Reaction score
 I was linked to JHP about 4 years ago from   http://www.bowsite.com and had put it to my favorites. The reason was that I had purchased a Canon Owl prior to the visit and I knew I had a potential bech project.

Well this Christmas my old lady bought me a digital camera.
That was the go ahead for me the revisit JHP and procede as directed. Now 5 Homebrews in a 6 week period and a strong addiction to this websight I'm ready for Psyciactric help.
   Here's the scenerio

In the basement
On the computer
In the Basement
On the computer
In the Basement
On the computer
On the hopper
In the basement
  My wife can't figure me out.
 She was bummin' when I built my first one and I had it in the kitchen for 2 days making sure the thing actually worked. Every time she moved it would flash at her.       Whatever            HEY  BOY

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi MBullism,
Prepare for assimilation - resistance is futile.

I've got 9 - but with Brians new chips I'll be breakin' 10 any day now :0

Archilochus

deerdad

Reaction score
I have 2 that I use and one virgin just waiting to be
broken in. There's something about taking off the packaging
and holding it in your hands, gently caressing its curves
knowing what's in store for you when you finally open
up the shell , exposing the inner beauty that you so
desperatly desire. All of the sudden it's a flood of emotions that come over you and......uhh, I have to go now.

Greg

woodseye

Reaction score
Boy you guys really sound hooked! Glad I'm not like that,I could stop anytime I want.........if I wanted to............but I don't really want to........but I could....I think :<(

woods

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
well i know the feeling! i just became a member jan 14th...and ..well.. sniff...sob...i have ...made 3 of them...waaaaa, tissue pa-lease...i have not tried the "cam patch" yet..but my wife is worried. i even printed this post off for her so she would think i was normal afterall...but she just laughed like i was a freak in a picture show...sniff sniff...dont tell er but i slipped to Service Merchandise " buyers paradise myself and picked up 2 more...he he he shuuu shuuu i hear footsteps......gotta go  read up fellow CBA..."Cam Builders Anonyomous"  i am proud to be a member...salute......
   steve

Stever

Reaction score
Remember what Red Green Says,
"You don't have to be handsome if yer handy." I can solder now....
"Duct tape even camo is the handymans secret weapon!"
"It really is tough out there and we are all in this together, we are pulling for you."

I can't quit and damit I am enjoying denial.
Long live cam flashers!

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Like it!!!! Love it!!!! Want some more of it!!!!!

need i say more. :wavin:

Top Bottom