A pic and some observations

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I put one of my cameras on some posted land an ex-neighbor of mine owns. ( grew up living beside him )  He does not allow anyone to hunt on his land and always gives the same two lame excuses for not allowing hunting.  I set the camera up around lunchtime Saturday and threw a handfull of deer feed on the ground in front of it.  That evening, approx. 6hrs later, three deer shot the whole roll of film.  They were a fawn w/ spots, a four pt and the eight pt pictured below.  

Some observations of the area.  Walking into the area you notice there is no underbrush.  The twigs and leaves of smaller brush have been eaten by the deer.  You can walk into the area, surrounded with mature oak trees, and not brush against smaller vegetation.  The deer came to the feed and pawed the area up looking for more.  This was plainly visible when I pulled the film three days later.  The forest road running up the mountain was recently graded.  A small sasafrass tree was bent over during the grading and the deer have eaten all the leaves with in reach.  Since noticing this I have bent the tree over even more during each visit to observe how fast it is eaten.  It's amazing what the deer have done to this property.  They are literally eating themselves out.  The are also impacting other animals that rely on the vegetation close to the ground.

Here's the pic. Notice there's very little underbush.  Also for reference, the tree in the pic is approx 6 yards from the camera.

Also,  I've been having my film developed at RiteAid and K-Mart. The girl at RiteAid has told me that depending on the film type, ie Kodak, some film processing is better or worse depending on the chemicals they are using for development.  Evidently K-Mart use Fuji chemicals while Rite-Aid uses Kodak Chemicals.  My Fuji pics developed at Rite-Aid are washed out compared to my Fuji pics developed at K-Mart.  

Ok.. enough rambling.  Have a good weekend!

Todd

Fubar

Reaction score
Todd   Nice pic! I think you should be able to convince him to thin out the deer a bit before they eat themselves out of house and home.            Fubar

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Fubar,  

He's a hard headed detective for a local PD.  He won't hear of it and he even hunts!!!, but not on his land.  Claims it is with in the borough limits and you can't hunt in the borough even though it in a mountain a good distance away from homes.  There is a trailer that is occupied on a neighboring property.  But again,  it's not close enough to be a concern especially during archery season.

I don't want to hunt it.  I've got my place to hunt.  I do know other people would like to hunt it though.  

Here's another pic from the same location.  These are the typical bucks you see around this mountain.  Just had these developed this morning.

And people wonder why the quality of deer in PA is so low.

Todd

Latest Posts

Top Bottom