A question for you smart guys

glen71

Reaction score
1. This may be a stupid question. I was wondering if by looking through a camcorder could one see a PIR motion sensor's beam at night? If so, it sure would be easier to aim it.
2. Can animals hear/detect ultrasonic radar? I saw a very inexpensive 12V radar motion detector on the web and wondered if it could be used in a trail cam.

bigmandude

Reaction score
glen,

im not sure that PIR's actually send out a beam,  but it should not be visible to any camera, even if infra-red film is used.

as for the ultrasonics,,,animals can definately hear them,  they send out a sound wave and measure the time it takes for the wave to return..(basically),
it is an extremely high pitched wave and will sometimes cause headaches for humans, even though they may not actually hear the sound. i would not suggest it for now.  

for a while there were a few microwave detectors around but i havent heard anything about them in quite sometime... sounds like a good question for some of our experts who know the secret handshake.

bigmandude

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi glen, bigman,
Nope, the Passive motion detectors do not emit ANY radiation.  We call their detection area a "beam" just to make it a bit easier to visualize the area the sensor covers.  Active InfraRed sensors do emit a beam of IR light which can be seen by some camcorders / digital cameras.
Ultrasonic detectors are not good for several reasons.... Many animals can hear it, high power consumption, and very sensitive to anything moving - see a post by Jaggermax a few weeks back.
Microwave field detectors might work, but they also use tons of power.

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom