A UV Filter VS single plexiglass

TmKarren

Reaction score
This is the diffrence between a single piece of plexi-glass.  First two pictures I used a single piece of plexi glass.  For the flash, and the shutter.  The last one, there is nothing in the picture (I don't think).  But a heck of a lot clearer.  I think the flash reaches 45 feet or more in this picture.   WHAT A DIFFRENCE....

Before

Even without snow is bad.

After

(Edited by TmKarren at 8:44 am on Mar. 15, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Tmkarren,

Do you use plexi-glass or reg glass in the one piece? How thick is it? I use 2mm picture frame glass and mine aren't that bad, then again mine aren't as good as the middle pic either

you should be able to get rid of SOME of that flash bleed by sealing both the shutter and the flash with pipe insulation foam.

BUT that middle pic does say alot for 2 pieces doesn't it. Very CLEAR

(Edited by davered1 at 8:01 pm on Mar. 14, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I always use 2 pieces of glass. The pic's I posted was 1 and had bleed. Normally I put a black strip at the glass union.

Butch

TmKarren

Reaction score
davered1 I used a single piece of plexiglass.  It's around 1/8" thick.  I even blackened the edges.  The plexiglass does scratch easy.  I was going to try the uvs' when I built it.  But I wanted to get in the woods ASAP! I came across the uvs'  for a price I couldn't refuse.  I wish I would have bought more though.  

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I use the uv lens filter only for the camera lens, then I use thin plexiglass for the flash and sensors. They look a lot better than my first cam only using plexiglass for everything. Here is one of my favorite clear pics.

TmKarren

Reaction score
Coyotebandit great Picture of the Turks.  That is just what I use now.  It works great.  I think it takes better pictures in the box than out.  I was hoping to get a animal on the uv picture.  We had a big storm that night.  High winds.  So I got 5 pictures like that.  2 with me carring it in.  (I need to make a switch cover.)  Then worst of all.  MY BATTERY WENT DEAD!!  Oh crap.  When I went to get it 3 days latter.  All kinds of tracks.  So I'm thinking GREAT lots of pictures.  Ya RIGHT.

(Edited by TmKarren at 8:37 am on Mar. 15, 2002)

Rooter

Reaction score
Man I love that turkey pic.  It is clear.  That would look great as a desktop wallpaper on a computer.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You guys have sure sold me on the UV filters, thanx for the comparison

Tinhorn

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Rooter,

Actually I have two different pics of turkeys as my desktop images, one at home, and one at work. If anyone wants a giant BMP file of the pic above, I'd be more than happy to email it to you. It's about 3 MB though.

homer

Reaction score
In the last allelectronics catalog #102. On page 83 they have 20 mm (13/16&quotx 2mm polarized filters for $1.00 each. Has any body tried them? It also says 20% transmission. Does anybody know what that means?:confused-yellow:

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Don't know if it would work or not, but I always make it big enough to include the sensor below the lens, at least on the OWL PF's. That means you need at least a 37mm filter to get both, to fit and let enough light in. I try to buy 40mm now, because 37 is a bit tight. If you are just going for the lens opening itself a 20mm should work. Usually a polarized filter is only used in direct sunlight, if it has only 20% light transmission, your night time pics won't come out! I bought some 2 packs of filers on clearance, that included a polarized tinted lens, I'm not planning on using it at all. If all you wanted to do is take pictures in direct sunlight, or at fish under the water it would work great. Just my 2 cents.

homer

Reaction score
coyotebandit, so what your saying is that the 20% transmition means that the filters are tinted? In the ad it says that they are used for military binoculars.You would'nt think that you would want to tint binoculars. Maybe thats why there for sale.

(Edited by homer at 7:17 am on Mar. 16, 2002)

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but if it's the same as window tint, 20% light transmission is like limo-black. I guess there is no way to know for sure without seeing them, maybe order one with your next order just to see what they look like. At least that way your only out a buck.

jayber

Reaction score
Great turkey pic coyotebandit!  I read that you expose the lower sensor hole via you UV filter......do you cover the other one then?  I was under the understanding that both had to be exposed to reap any benefit.  I may be wrong, but I don't think I've got a picture as clear as yours with a UV filter.....and that unit has both sensor holes covered.

TmKarren

Reaction score
The place where I got mine.  You can get 10 52mm for $23.86.  That's $2.38 each.  If you want that many.  If you want email them and ask what you can get.  Or you can get 6 for $20 which includes shipping.  Here is the email, and the web page.  Just ask them.  ((I like the 52mm, because it's big enough you can interchange cameras' with the box.  camera shutter, flash placement as you know are not the same on all cameras'..))

valdatta@networktel.net  e-mail

valdatta.com

(Edited by TmKarren at 4:18 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Jayber,

Because of the size of filters I have been buying, I just let the lens and the sensor below the lens show through the UV lens. The other sensor near the viewfinder I just use a small round piece of plexiglass to let the light in. Not all my pics are that clear, but I do have a nice stack of clear pics. Most of them don't have much to look at in them. I think if you go above 50mm then it gets to be kinda close to the flash. The other thing I do is use a lens cleaning cloth to keep the lenses clean eveytime I get the chance. My first cam used a plexiglass lens, I don't think I'll ever build another like that again! The smallest lens I have tried was the 37mm, it works but I think around 40-50mm works the best.

Top Bottom