A zone south strategies

l0nepine

Reaction score
This will be my first season hunting the A zone and my first season bow hunting and im trying to figure out the best way to hunt the areas I have scouted. I plan on hunting in the los padres in between Santa Maria and Santa Barbara and the area I am looking at is lower in elevation (lots of oaks, not lots of manzanita). In the two scouting trips I have managed I have seen pretty good movement through the area mostly in the late afternoon. I am wondering if I should hunt from a stand, spot and stock, still hunt, whatever. I realize its close to impossible to get through areas like this silently this time of year but I am low on $ and a tree stand is not something I want to buy on the cheap.

If there are any people out there who have hunted this area or areas similar I would love to hear suggestions. Thanks in advance.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
X the tree stand, it would not be there when you came back. spend alot a time behind the glass,put your buck
to bed,move in for the harvest[spot&stalk}.you wont do yourself any good walking around in the crunchy oak leaf's. should
be a decent year due to the fires in that area, bring yourself ALOT of water and put that coveted A-zone tag
on a buck

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hatchet1 @ Jun 19 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
X the tree stand, it would not be there when you came back. spend alot a time behind the glass,put your buck
to bed,move in for the harvest[spot&stalk}.you wont do yourself any good walking around in the crunchy oak leaf's. should
be a decent year due to the fires in that area, bring yourself ALOT of water and put that coveted A-zone tag
on a buck
[/b]
sometimes the "spot and staulk" method don't make sense. not every place has the conditions needed for spotting then staulking. besides that you still have to walk and sneak up on the deer, thus walking on crunchy ground. I am just saying.....sometimes it seems a lot of people on here always say "spot and stalk"...but still hunting has worked for me. or even just getting to an area that has good deer sign and standing next to a tree or sitting on a log has done well for me to. tree stand hunting can be a great idea, if you get an area suitable for tree stand hunting. I don't hunt down south in the area you listed, but depending on that area, make your decision based on what you have seen. if it is open and hilly...i would spot and staulk. if it is dense and foresty i would either still hunt or sit in one location. if you do use a tree stand get close to beds near water. my 2cents

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
guy,thanks for quoting my post
211, i do hunt that area,you will find that sitting behind your glass
will benifit you the most,let the other dudes do the work for you,of course this is just my

and again,post up when you geek one

cam188

Reaction score
This will be my first year as well hunting A-Zone S. Havn't had the time to scout yet but am going to attempt to be out early opening day just going blind. Sometimes I am learning with hunting it pays to be lucky not skilled. Go out have fun is more my motto at this stage in my life.

l0nepine

Reaction score
Hatchet, thanks for the info, its much appreciated.

cam, you said it im pretty much just stoked to get out there and learn hands on.

photohunter

Reaction score
Weekend after next, I'll be scouting southern zone A for the first time this year. I got my first deer with a bow in the same area last year. I'm hoping there are still pockets of unburned brush and the place isn't totally scorched. I did set up a tree-stand (first time) in a nearby canyon last year, but didn't get to hunt it because of the fire. I found what looked to be a good travel area with activity in the afternoon.

If I was hunting for a trophy hybrid (I'm not), I would be glassing for him first then put together a plan. I generally glass (spot and stalk) or still-hunt. Don't put up a stand unless you know deer are going to be travelling through the area in daylight.

Hunter success in this area is low - especially with a bow, but you got to be out there just to get a chance. July is the earliest season you an hunt in this state and I can't wait.

Here's my tip for the first-timers. If you get a chance at a legal buck, don't ######-foot around. Take your time, but take the first good shot you get.

Good luck to all. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of some opening weekend archery kills.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hatchet1 @ Jun 19 2008, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
guy,thanks for quoting my post
211, i do hunt that area,you will find that sitting behind your glass
will benifit you the most,let the other dudes do the work for you,of course this is just my

and again,post up when you geek one
[/b]
that is good advice from someone who has hunted it before. It just always seemed like people say spot and staulk or find a place to glass...obviously you cannot always do that and that is the point i was trying to make. if it is open and glass-able then i would be doing that 95% of the time, it will be your best bet as Hatchet recommends!

barel74

Reaction score
My only advice is to get there EARLY. That way when others show up, they are pushing the game to you. And hunt water, with this dry year, water is going to be the key.

Raully

Reaction score
Practice long shots! And then practice some more. Scouting is the key and don't worry about water to much unless its a spring. Especially if its a hidden spring near bedding areas.

Top Bottom