A22 Bowhuntin' San Diego Co.

One Track

Reaction score
Supposed to get some rain up there today.

Dang it. I'm getting ready to move to a new house this week. I'm not getting in the scouting time that I normally do. Any word on how things are lookin' up in our hills.

Hope to see some of you guys up there this season.

Brent

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, haven't had anytime to scout this year. I haven't even picked up my tag yet for A22 or D19. When I get back from IV on Sept. 3 I will check with the USFS for SBNF and get a prognosis. If D-19 is still open I will be bow hunting that. Then I'll be doing A22 the second half. If D-19 is closed, then A22 will get all my attention.

I'm going to start on the west side of Wooded Hill and scout/hunt from there.

Anybody who's been up want to give a skeeter report too?

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
With the situation that the military (Navy on my part) is in, I've been working my ars off. I don't think I've had a weekend to myself in months. Constantly gone to either Japan, Hawaii or elsewhere keeping the ships ready to sail on a moments notice. I would like to get up there and do some scouting myself, but I'm not even sure I'm going to get the chance to hunt up there this year. If everything goes the way its planned, I'll be home in Minnesota from the 22 OCT until the 14 of NOV. So hopefully I'll get myself a nice whitetail. Anway OneTrack, I sure hope I'll get that chance to get up there and see you this fall.

David

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Since the move, I is really difficult to get up there. I keep looking at topo's trying to find a water source, so I can get my buck early! Looks like I will be covering a lot of ground on opening day.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I sure hope ya'll get a big-un, or heck just nail an old flat head, I know I owe a few nosey old does a good sharp broadhead. Ya'll stay after them, I don't want them Mt. Laguna deer to whup on ya'll like they did me.

Bill in SD

Reaction score
I was up there with the wife and daughter a few weeks ago, east of sunrise highway and saw a few deer in the late afternoon. Although I did not really see much sign or any droppings. We did manage to scare a small yearling doe and then some other guys scouting towards us scared about 3 does.

It seems to me, I have found places with deer, I just have not found really great places.

I wonder if there are places that the deer use daily that you could set up on.

To me it seems maybe the deer will use an area for a day or two or they just seem to wander.

If you hunted a stand for a long enough time you would get a shot, but I am inpatient and hate sitting on a spot and not seeing anything.

Cheers
Bill

One Track

Reaction score
We'll just have to see how it goes I guess. I need to get up there for at least a few mornings.

David, hope you make it back to town for some huntin'. Thanks for keeping those ships ready to rock.

Bill, I hear you. Sitting sucks. But, as crunchy as it is, I think it's the best way to kill a buck - at least on Mt. Laguna. I see way more deer from my stand than I do from the ground. The deer I see from the ground are all headin' out already.

Let's stick a few bucks this year!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it. Anyone who needs a scoutin partner, give me a shout.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
We need to find the water. Topo maps show water in certain areas, but when One Track and I hiked them, we saw none. I would love to know where they get their water. That 4x that I saw twice last year has to be drinking somewhere. Other than that, I just expect to hump it up and down a bunch of hills to track movement.
SDHNTR, If I can find a way to get down from the OC, I will give you a call. I have never scouted Laguna in the PM, might do me some good.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Please do let me know Buckeye. I'm game anytime.

sdbowyer

Reaction score
JDC

This is the time to hit that water I told you about! Fresh and plentiful in the hottest of days.

One Track

Reaction score
Huh? What? Where?

Just kidding. I know where he hunts!

FLaBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
hello everyone ,
name is Bryan and I was wonderin how to get to palomar state park and if the entire area is open for bowhuntin

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Bryan,

Welcome to the site. Although I do not hunt Palomar, I am pretty confident that there is an archery only area. Your best bet is to go to Performance Archery in La Jolla, and talk with them about that area. I cannot remember the little guys name that tunes the bows, (eddie, rudy, something like that) but he can tell you a lot about that area. Plus you will run in to a bunch of others there who will be up at Palomar this season. In addition, they have a 20 yard indoor range where you can practice. Good luck to you.

Joe Buck-eye

sdbowyer

Reaction score
Palomar allows rifle hunting, but part of the Palomar area is archery only. The Fish Creek campground area is archery only. And the guy's name is Louie. He may have left though.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Louie was still there (so was his attitude) a few months ago.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom