A31 question about deer and bear hunting

Socal hunter

Reaction score
My question is this. My son and I both have A31 tags. Our plan tomorrow is to go out him with his A31 deer tag and bow. Me, leaving my deer tag in the truck, take my bear tag and both my rifle (with nonlead ammo) and bow (if bear is close). Now I know I can't carry both with my A31 tag as it looks like I am deer hunting but is it ok if I am strickly Bear hunting and my son is strickly deer hunting if we are together?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
My My what a sticky wickit you weave with, This a question of your faith in what you say you are doing and what the Game Warden thinks that you are doing.
If he doesn't believe that was your true intent he could Cite you and your son. for on and on violations. BUCU VIOLATIONS
Me? Iam sorry I do not have the confidence in our Game Wardens that some do, I feel they are out to find law breakers, poachers and as such if there is any way they can apply the laws to make you fit into that they will. There will be no great effort exerted to try ans understand your intent and or reasoning.
I would really love for someone to challange this, why couldn't an a31 Archery Hunter hunt side by Side with a Legal bear hunter and his rifle, Now you carring a bow and Rifle? you would most certinlly be screwed

Last edited:

Socal hunter

Reaction score
So leave my bow at home? and just be as you said .....a31 Archery Hunter hunt side by Side with a Legal bear hunter and his rifle?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
We have some very pro GW members here let's let a few of them Chime in before running off and makin a huge mistake.
Personally I would not Do it!!! Either take your bows, A31 and Bear tag and Leave all fire arms, or have your son tag along without any tag or bow while you hunt with a rifle.
But there are some on this forum that will tell you I'm full of BS, and some times thay are correct, But this would not be one of those times

TheGDog

Reaction score
Hrmm... that's a tricky one. But.. if you left the rifle behind... you at least know they for sure will not sweat you... right? Either way it's time in the forest with your son, so either way you come out a winner.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Well I guess there is not a lot of opinion on this at the moment:
To be safe if you or your son is hunting under a archery only Tag I would only have archery equipment.
If you are Hunting under your Bear tag and going to take you rifle I would not have your son carry any archery equipment or tag. Sounds sad but it is the only way to be sure you and your son could not be cited.

cjack

Reaction score
I think this falls in a grey area and that it would be up to the individual Game Warden whether or not to cite you. If you were cited, whether right or wrong the burden would be on you to prove it to a judge in a court of law. I personally try to stay away from any grey areas and error on the side of caution, I would rather spend the day in the field as oppose to a day in court.

dustin ray

Reaction score
just use your bow to hunt bear and deer why bring a rifle

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Wild1 / RTG you all know the law chime in!!! Help this Father and son out

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Well you know what I'm up for the challange, My Bud Joe and I are heading up to D11, Joes going to hunt on his D11 tag rifle and I will hunt My A31 tag archery. That way either or Buck or Doe either or we have a shot at it, and then we can see what Our ranger bud thinks.

g791

Reaction score
This is what I see when driving into A31 spot today. Kinda made me want to turn around and go home knowing they are all down super low where we can't hunt.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

TheGDog

Reaction score
I saw the pic... and then scrolled-down and saw the curb... and my jaw dropped!

Top Bottom