Possum

Reaction score
Does anyone use 1.2v NiMH batteries in the OWL Camera?  I am using them on a timer and I believe they will last, but how long will they work on the camera?  It operates fine and I've flashed it about 30 times in a day.  But, I am wondering how they will last over a period of a week or so.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Possum,
Well... my books show a rating for typical heavy duty "AA" alkaline batts of about 2500 mAH

NiMH "AA" batts have a rating of about 1200 mAH

So you can expect about 1/2 the run time for your cam with NiMH batts.  The lower cell voltage might make useful time even shorter.  But NiMH batts have some other characteristics that could balance the lower cell voltage.  Best to just try it for a while and see.

Let us all know the results of your experiment.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well, somethings weird,

In old Ponderous, the cheapo point & shoot cam runs down a pair of Alkaline AA's in 2 or 3 days (Flash on continuosly) but a pair of NiMH's will last 6 days ?????

Also noticed in the Owl's Owner's Manual, it says don't use anything but Alkalines !

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
Well... that could be due to the "other characteristics" I mentioned.
As alkaline batts get drained, their internal resistance increases dramatically (and ability to source current decreases)
NiMH batts have a much greater current sourcing capability even at low charge levels.  That's why many digital cams (like my C-2000 Z ) won't work off of even fresh alkalines but will work fine with partially discharged NiMH batts.
Also, NiMH batts retain their cell voltage better than alkalines as the batteries are drained - so even though they have a lower cell voltage initially, they retain this voltage, while the alkalines cell voltage drops considerably during discharge.

Archilochus

Top Bottom