Acton or around there off the 14

lintongb

Reaction score
We (wife and kids) were invited by some other families to go camping this past weekend at Thousand Trails campground in Acton, Ca.  It was only a hour away.  I noticed on the drive up there that there is quite a bit of open space off the 14.  I don't think I had ever been up that way before.  I heard a lot of coyotes at night and was wondering how the access is to some of the back areas.  Say Soledad Canyon or Agua Dulce.  Is it public land or largely private?  Does anybody hunt up in those areas for coyotes, quail or even deer?  I have for the most part headed East to hunt.  It would be nice to find some places closer to home.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

so cal hunter

Reaction score
I have hunted the s/e area near mill creek summit and mt. gleason for coyotes but have never seen deer in that area but it's possible i just takes time looking in these area's   so cal hunter

Hook

Reaction score
That area is my back yard, lots of places to hunt for Quail, Deer and of course coyotes.
A lot of the area is shotgun only, so check the Los Angeles County shooting map. Ther is also a bunch of NF land out there that is full of critters. The area around Mt Emma rd. is also pretty good.  

songdog

Reaction score
The area just to the east of that campground is basically Nat'l Forest.  It can get a little thick in that area but still good hunting.  Everything to the east of Soledad is Nat'l Forest with the exception of some small private parcels along the road.

lintongb

Reaction score
Thanks Songdog!  I was looking at the LA CO. Shooting map and I couldn't tell by the detail where the boudaries were.  So are you saying the majority of the area east off Soledad Canyon Rd. is NT Forest and huntable?  Are there many turnoffs to access the area?  Also, does anybody know which route is faster or better to take.  I took the 210 fwy to the 14.  The map looks like you could take a hwy (Big Tujunga Canyon Rd???)that goes over the top of the mountain range or would that take forever?

songdog

Reaction score
Yes, that's mainly NF land.  

The freeway is quicker for the most part.  There's access to the forest along Soledad in several places as well as off Aliso Cyn.  There are some turn offs and access points off of Big Tujunga, I'm just not as familiar with them.  You can also take Little Tujunga from the 210 (it turns into Sand Cyn) which also has access points to the NF.

Top Bottom