Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
Ok guys, I was just going to head out tonight and put the camera up w/o a lock on it, but finally thought twice about it. So now I am ready to wait until I can fashion a lock/cable on the unit to make it harder to steal. I have a couple of ideas on how to add a lock and cable to the unit, but I wanted to get some suggestions from you guys on how I can add one to a first aid kit box.

GOB

(Edited by Good Ole Boy at 9:11 pm on July 15, 2002)

snuffysmith

Reaction score
If you have access to someone that has a Mig welder, find you some small angle-iron and build a frame for your camera. I used old bed-rails from the recycling center and made a nice square frame that my cam fits in. I welded a piece of flat stock across the front so no one can get the camera out, but where it still clears the holes for the shutter and flash. I then welded a couple of brackets on the two horizontal sides so as to weld a chain on one side and a place to put a heavy lock thru on the other side. It kind of makes it tree-size specific, but I'd like to see someone take my camera...lol

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Chain welded to flat stock mounted on the front of first aid kit. Its not theft proof but what is if they really want it.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Good Ole Boy,

with my first aid cam boxes i simply weld on a hasp that lets you lock it to the tree and lock the lid at the same time
you can see the hasp if you look closely at the pic on the side of the box, i run a steel cable thru the welded on chain links and then lock the ends thru the hasp with a lock

if you already have your cam finished it may not be a good idea to weld on it without removing the inside components as welding may fry some delicate electronic parts

you could still use a hasp as a locking means but you'll have to bolt it on using a nut on the inside with it being bradded over to keep someone from just loosening it and also it would be a good idea to use some type of sealant to cover the bolt holes you drill for the hasp to keep moisture out

just another idea

good luck,

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
you think instead of welding I could hold something on tight with bondo? Maybe the redneck coming out in me, but it was one of my thoughts.

Top Bottom