advice 4 wister opening day

Drew10

Reaction score
ok i have been saying this on other things bu tnow once and for all. Does anyone have advice for wister opening day. Cuz 4 once in my 15 year old life, i got drawn #2. For once luck was on my side.

Well Thanks

Bleu

Reaction score
When they call reservation #2 walk up to the board pick one gold tags that are still available, anyone will do.  Haul your decoys out to your pond, throw them in water and wait for it to get light when shot any ducks that fly within 40 yards of you.  Good luck!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Drew10 - first off, congratulations on number 2.  I mentioned on another post that Wister was my hunting spot when I was your age (started there when I was 10).  Opening day should be fun and the best advice I think came from TwoDucks - ask at the station and find out where the best water is and go for it.  We used to go north (back on the highway) and set up there.  I can't remember the unit nunbers now but we always did real well going north.  But, make sure to go where the ponds are flooded up the most.  My dad used to set me up on a dike with a home made blind - he would take burlap and attach it to 4 tall stakes and then I would surround myself with that "blind" and watch the sky.  I also remember there was a trailer set up with a man named "Mac" that would sell hot chocolate, sandwiches, arrow root blind material, shells, decoys, etc.  You will have to write back and let me know if he is still there.  He sold everything out of that trailer parked in the lot.  That was a long time ago so I would imagine he is gone now.

The best advise for you at 15 years old is to just enjoy every part of opening day.  You will get some shots but you will also have bragging rights that you got an "opening day" ressie...a hard thing to come by.  

Have a ball and be sure to let us know how you did.

Drew10

Reaction score
Duck Fan

I hunted there three years ago and that "MAC" thingy was still there. Thanks for the info and i will see if he is still set up there.
Thanks

huntducks

Reaction score
Bleu really that is uncalled for your just pissed the kid is either in front of you or you have never drawen a decedent ressi.

Drew10

Check the water on these blinds I have never seen them without during duck season, but make sure.
anyone of them will get you some good shooting.

Try (115-B-5 or 3) (115-C-1or 2) (312-C-5)(312-B-4)

Youngman enjoy your hunt and savor the excitment of drawing #2 on opener.

Be sure you let us know how you did

Fubar

Reaction score
Mac is still there. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He will always give you good advice if you ask him.          Fubar

JustBob

Reaction score
mmmmmmmmm great Carne Asada burritos!!!
He had the place for sale last year. Guess we will find out Saturday if he sold it.

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Congrats on #2 kiddo!   With the #2 pick, the guys that run the reservations at the unit should be able to direct you to a hot spot.  Like the guys said, get one of the places that is holding water and you should be fine.

Good luck, and shoot straight!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom