Advice needed on finishing coyotes

jhill528

Reaction score
So I have been hunting for 19 years and recently began hunting coyotes with a foxpro. After my first night hunt and killing a coyote in the first two minutes with my 12gauge, I am hooked on night hunting. On my last several outings, this month, I have been able to locate the coyotes (using a coyote pack locator call), and I can get them actively engaged by using Male long howls and female yodels. For some reason, I can get them to come a bit closer (based on the volume of their howls, even being able to hear them growl and snarl), but I cannot get them to show themselves. I am hunting in fairly brushy country (los Padres NF) and I'm using a "Wicked Hunting Light" so I know I have plenty of light capability, plus to over come the brushy country, I setup over low lying sage flats and use the bed of my truck as a make shift highrack for a better vantage point. Last night, I held several groups engage in vocalizations for more than 30 minutes, but as soon as I mixed in either cottontail/ jackrabbit in distress or pup in distress calls, they quite communicating with me and I never heard or saw them again. This whole night hunting thing is tough since I can't see, but I have had a lot better success with locating the coyotes, just not such great luck shooting them (since the first one was soley luck I believe).

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing differently? Maybe different call sequences, maybe just use a locator to find them, then wait a bit and use a prey distress call. Of maybe I should just stick to going out at night to locate them, and then go back the next morning during daylight, and use prey in distress calls.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciatted. I live in Camarillo, so if there is anyone else in my area that is experienced with coyote hunting (especially night hunting), I would really like to possibly spend some time hunting together if possible. I'd even be willing to run to my spots for the right person. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Johnathon

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
What about night vision with infrared? I noticed that i many cases projectors do not work well in brash areas, but when you use night vision with infrared, their eyes glow very bright even behind bushes and you cannot miss them.
Just my 2 cents.

jhill528

Reaction score
Well, I haven't looked into Infared yet, but I'm sure the price alone would deter me. Heck spening nearly $200 on a fancy flashlight nearly detered me. And I completely agree about the light being difficult to use in brushy areas. If the light hits any brush that is directly infront of you (within 25 feet or so) it reflects back into your eye and is blinding, but at the same time, I would be confident identifying an animal inside of 150 yds with this light and that is more than enough. Infared would also be great since it would not emmit a light that the coyotes could see. One problem, is Infared even legal in California?

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Nope, totally illegal. Same for thermal. In chatting with an IE GW who watched some callers hunt yotes in the IV at night through his IR glass, he saw the coyotes avoid both red and green lights. Smart doggies.

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Why is it illegal? Never heard of it. Isn't it the same as regular night hunting?

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Hay Bruce,
can you please point me to the regs prohibiting use of termal?
Could not find anything but I'm notorious for overlooking things.
I'll very appreciate it since i want to be 100% compliant, but also, do not want to miss the opportunity.
The regs are like this:

(c) It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device or any night vision equipment, optical devices, including, but not limited to, binoculars or scopes, that use light-amplifying circuits that are electrical or battery powered, to assist in the taking of birds, mammals, amphibians, or fish.

Termal is not light amplifying and maybe even not optical, not sure about it.

Last edited:

Wino

Reaction score
Thermal is light amplify. A thermal imager collects the infrared light given off by warm objects. Even though no ambient light is falling on the object it can produce its own inferred light as a product of heat. It (thermal imaging device) collects this inferred light and converts it to a picture for you (electronic viewing device). My plumber has one to detect leaks behind walls. He told me he likes to sit in his back yard and look through it at the hill behind his house an watch all the critters moving about.

Last edited:

jhill528

Reaction score
Well, Jessedlc2, as long as I am reading the laws correctly, shooting from my vehicle (in particular the bed) is legal so long as I am pulled off of the roadway and the vehicle's engine is turned off, which it was. So I do not believe that I was breaking any laws, and if I was, please let me know so I do not do it again. If you are refereing to the thought that the truck might scare the coyotes away, that is a possibility, but it was the best possible way to get elevated above the sage in order to assist in gaining some vantage point. I was kinda hoping that at night, the coyotes would be more concerned on focusing on the call and hopefully not notice the truck. They hunt with Highracks is other places so it must work in certain situations.

Either way, this has all been a learning experience for me. Coyotes are a far cry from hunting big game, upland birds and waterfowl. Any advice is appreciatted.

Jessedlc2

Reaction score
You are probably right, I just rather not worry about it so I won't shoot from my truck, good luck

augnmike

Reaction score
Unless the law has changed you cannot shoot from the vehicle. If you are in a 12v zone you can light from the vehicle but the shooter has to be on the ground. Vehicle off the road, guy with the light can stand in the bed with the shooter below him on the ground (so he can see eyes). If running e-caller can't shoot fox (out of season now anyway).

Jessedlc2

Reaction score
Unless the law has changed you cannot shoot from the vehicle. If you are in a 12v zone you can light from the vehicle but the shooter has to be on the ground. Vehicle off the road, guy with the light can stand in the bed with the shooter below him on the ground (so he can see eyes). If running e-caller can't shoot fox (out of season now anyway).
I thought Saturday was last day for fox

augnmike

Reaction score
Yes and b-cats, sorry I was thinking more long term. Cats are ok with e-caller.

Top Bottom