After America

chuam

Reaction score
Every so often, a grand thesis captures the world’s imagination, at least until it is swept away by events or by a newer, more plausible thesis. The latest one to do so, in policy think tanks, universities, foreign ministries, corporate boardrooms, editorial offices, and international conference centers, is that America’s time of global dominance is finished, and that new powers, such as China, India, and Russia, are poised to take over. It’s an idea that has had as much currency within the United States as elsewhere.

All great empires set too much store by predictions of their imminent demise. Perhaps, as the Greek poet Constantine Cavafy suggested in his poem “Waiting for the Barbarians,” empires need the sense of peril to give them a reason to go on. Why spend so much money and effort if not to keep the barbarians at bay?

link

easymoney

Reaction score
And I'll bet you are just licking your chops over that article...

chuam

Reaction score
Did you read the whole article? It was actually very good and talks more about the impacts that the new rising economies will have and the rise of associated nationalistic tendencies.

Read the article and then comment. It will make your retorts look less foolish.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
One thing for sure...
You lefties are doing your best to bring America down..starting with your rooting for our enemies in just about every instance.

One thing to keep in mind...If America does go down, you lefties will be in a bigger hurt than the conservatives !

I hope you noticed a few recent threads in these forums, entitled " Be careful what you wish for..you may just get it !"

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuckslayer @ Apr 14 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One thing for sure...
You lefties are doing your best to bring America down..starting with your rooting for our enemies in just about every instance.

One thing to keep in mind...If America does go down, you lefties will be in a bigger hurt than the conservatives !

I hope you noticed a few recent threads in these forums, entitled " Be careful what you wish for..you may just get it !"[/b]
Are you serious? No where in the article is it "rooting for the downfall of America". Stop drinking the kool aid and try reading something instead of having a typicla closed minded GOP knee jerk reaction.

We are shipping jobs overseas. India, China and Russia have economies that are up and coming. The article does a good job about talking about how this will affect us.

If you don't think they will have an impact on our economy you need to get your head out of the sand.

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Doesn't make a bit of difference..the loonie left is still helll-bent on bringing the US down..and I was just telling you how it would be if you succeeded.
As far as your link; I took one look at the source and shut it back down..try for a more credible source next time.

In short; the loonies on the left want the US destroyed and all the links in the world won't change that !

You probably wouldn't have read the article, except the lead in title caused you to salivate !

chuam

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chuckslayer @ Apr 15 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Doesn't make a bit of difference..the loonie left is still helll-bent on bringing the US down..and I was just telling you how it would be if you succeeded.
As far as your link; I took one look at the source and shut it back down..try for a more credible source next time.

In short; the loonies on the left want the US destroyed and all the links in the world won't change that !

You probably wouldn't have read the article, except the lead in title caused you to salivate ![/b]
I guess I should have never expected any well thought out debate and replies just more right wing BS rhetoric.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I guess I should have never expected any well thought out debate and replies just more right wing BS rhetoric.[/b]
Oh, come on Chuam...you didn't post that with a well thought out debate in mind...did you? Really?

You keep poking the dog, the dog keeps biting you, and you keep pretending to be surprised. If you really wanted to start a discussion, you'd have...started a discussion. Instead, you post an article about America's inevitable economic down slide, with no personal commentary or opinion.

So, since you've read the article, what steps should we take to re-establish and maintain our economic strength in the world? Perhaps if you offer something constructive, something constructive may come your way.

easymoney

Reaction score
I have said it before and I will repeat, there are those who come here specifically to post liberal opinion articles without any personal input or ideas in order to stir up trouble, yet always resort to the name calling and attacks when one of us does respond back with a personal idea or thought.
The doom and gloom theory is the one that is always dragged out when no real ideas can be presented. It worked for chicken little, why wouldn't it work for the current crop of name callers?
IMHO, the responses and opinions of all the respondents here are far more interesting and original than those of the "cut n paste authors" who actually got paid to write...
Keep it up guys...

Orygun

Reaction score
I read and, meh. Economic competetion is a good thing. For one it will be nice not to have to carry the load for the world. China and India and the EU can bail out the 3rd world from now on. They can send troops and money to right wrongs and bring justice and liberty to the downtrodden

The article theme boasts of the promise of rising economies but then notes the Achilles heel of each. As it is an article in a publication by elitist New York liberals for elitist New York liberals it ties in America's "Faults" to conservatism.

Advertisement

Top Bottom