Aged duck

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Let a few whole ducks age in the fridge for 8 days. Today they were plucked and rubbed with a latex glove removing most of the fine down hair around the breasts, legs and thighs. Once the breasts, legs and thighs (skin on) were removed cleaned and brought to room temp.... they hit the skillet.
Just duck fat and salt...medium rare, rare...Yum.

Schnitt

Reaction score
Interesting. So how does it compare to un-aged duck? For my duck, I usually pluck and then freeze. Then defrost in "Chaka's MMM sauce" and let soak for a day, then BBQ rare to med-rare. Small ducks (Teal) I do in halves, while larger ducks I do in quarters.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Aged duck will be much more tender. Ageing or hanging ducks gives the enzymes time to break down the meat. It's like dry aging venison or beef except duck is hung whole and undressed so air can't get to the meat and dry it out. If you had to trim dried meat off a teal you wouldn't have much meat left to eat right :)
I think you may be getting a small benefit of aging by letting frozen duck sit in a marinade for a day but i'm not sure how freezing affects the enzymes?
I'm a fan of marinades and sauces but sometimes i just like to enjoy the flavor of the meat with a bit of salt and dry aging gives me tenderized duck breasts that have not had the flavor influenced by a marinade or a brine.
We've got the the cooking part down, rare to medium rare is my favorite way to eat duck.
Keep an eye on the fat when cleaning birds and thank your lucky stars when you see a bird with a thick layer of white fat under the skin.

Moskinyca

Reaction score

Top Bottom