Agencies Seeking Input On Raven Control

Marty

Reaction score
Tortoise effort targets ravens

HABITAT: The birds are a peril to the desert species so wildlife officials want to reduce their numbers.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

By JENNIFER BOWLES / The Press Enterprise

Federal and state agencies, seeking to protect the federally threatened desert tortoise, are considering shooting and poisoning ravens to control the soaring population of the birds, which are the lumbering reptile's major predator.

Ravens, whose numbers have increased more than 1,000 percent in the past 25 years, prey on young tortoises with soft shells, preventing 40 percent to 60 percent of them from surviving into adulthood, U.S. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Doran Sanchez said Monday.

In a program that could be implemented at the end of the year, the BLM, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other state, federal and military agencies are considering controlling the raven population with guns, poison and traps. They are also considering euthanizing young ravens and eggs.

Nonlethal methods would also be used, including reducing the amount of food and water left by humans on the side of the roads or in open trash bins; reducing animal carcasses, which attract ravens; removing raven nests outside the nesting season within two miles of tortoise-management areas; and reducing potential nesting sites, such as telephone poles.

Sanchez said the goal is to restore a balanced predator-prey relationship.

Environmentalists said they hoped the program would find ways to close or limit the ravens' water sources, such as livestock troughs, guzzlers used by hunters for other birds and waste-treatment plants that can attract scores of ravens.

In addition to ravens, the tortoises face threats from off-roading, cattle grazing, habitat loss and two diseases that affect their respiratory systems and their shells, Sanchez said.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Raven Plan
Wildlife agencies are seeking public comment to devise a plan on managing ravens in the desert.

Deadline: Aug. 16, 2004

Write:
Amy L. Fesnock,
Joshua Tree National Park
74458 National Park Drive
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277

E-mail: amy_fesnock@nps.gov
Call:    (760) 367-5578[/b]

Schoettgen

Reaction score
I am all for raven control, but not just for tortoises. They are hard on just about everything. In addition to the control methods mentioned, why not just have a wide open season on them. Right now they are fully protected without a permit.

vrstull

Reaction score
I despise those bleepin' birds. I say capture a few live ones, torture them to make them tell where their breeding grounds are, then kill the prisoners and nuke the breeding grounds. End of problem.
Oh, and warn the tortises before we drop the big one.

MapMan

Reaction score
Wow Vic! Go get 'em...

I do agree with you all. Remove their protected status and open the season up on them. I don't like the idea of using poison. I always run across them while out hunting, typically in the desert areas. I could whack a few easily....

Their numbers have grown significantly and they have become a problem for other wildlife. I see them everywhere I go .....

scr83jp

Reaction score
Hunters would gladly thin the ranks if given a chance,I don't want any tree hugging enviro wacko removing guzzlers or water sources from anywhere it should be against all laws to do so .Interesting after wasting $10,000,000 on tortoise protection without ever addressing the raven problem no one would even talk about raven control the feds played the blame game: off roaders,hunters,motorcycles,cattle, miners,etc.I attended meetings on tortoises and the dumb & dumber couldn't tell me how many they had before their program began and how many they had after spending the money to save the tortoises.I don't trust the feds at all especially removing varmints as they'll kill off desireable species with poisoning. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly ossifer, they were attacking me! I had to whack all these ravens to save my life

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
honestly ossifer I thought they were big barn pigeons..

Rick

Reaction score
I sent an email off to amy_fesnock@nps.gov supporting a season and limit on ravens, but resisting any moves to eliminate water sources that would damage populations of songbirds, gamebirds, deer, rabbits, etc.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rick@Jul 22 2004, 09:50 AM
I sent an email off to amy_fesnock@nps.gov supporting a season and limit on ravens, but resisting any moves to eliminate water sources that would damage populations of songbirds, gamebirds, deer, rabbits, etc.
I will send a letter also , but why have a limit? With a 1000% increase in population I think they can handle the pressure of a free fire zone. Then again this problem maytake care of itself if West Nile Virus works as advertised. WNV may also help reduce range damage done by feral horses and burros. Which is my other pet peeve. Everyone goes after cattle, but no one will lift a hand to deal with range damage and water hole destruction caused by wild horses and burros, except for a feel good adoption program.

BDOG

Reaction score
SIMPLE Open the season. Leave the water on for all he other critters like quail ,turtoises. OH Yeah! Cows shoot them too. to much over grasing. We need to raise the price of beef. God I miss Sam Kinison. He was so funny.

bloodsports

Reaction score
I can see it now The First Annual JHO Raven Hunt!
I know the perfect place for this event, my Driveway.
I wll even supply the shells. Man I would do anything to stop those dam birds from Sh***** all over my truck.

BDOG

Reaction score
Hey bloodsports! Are you sure your not having a problem with species identification. Those birds crapping on your vehicle in Redondo are seagulls not ravens. LOL

Top Bottom