Aim

dhall61

Reaction score
I am curious to hear how people aim with their handgun.

Do you keep one eye closed, or both open?

Do you do instinctive shooting for the most part, or do you use the sight post more often than not?

Two hand, or single?

Side stance, or front?

Do you use open sight, or scope?

I tend to shoot instinctive, with both eyes open, using two hands, in a partial side shooting position, open sight.

Tank

Reaction score
It all depends on what you're shooting.

If you're shooting for self defense I would practice both eyes open for up close point shooting....I use isoceles stance or modified weaver. The reason for using both eyes is that you can still see other threats using your peripheral vision, should they present themselves.

The further away your target.....let's say 15 yards and out....use your sights and aim with your dominant eye.

If you're shooting bullseye targets or for score....always use your sights and aim with your dominant eye. The reason being accuracy.

dhall61

Reaction score
thought I would share this site. I like it because it not only speaks to the different stances, it provides photos.

BTW, women make great trigger pullers.

Cornered Cat

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I run a bowling pin shoot every month at our local club with participation in the 15-20 range. We shoot three main events: rimfire, centerfire revolver and centerfire auto, with a magazine limit of seven rounds. The match is shot at 25 feet using regulation bowling pins with five on the table and four tables shot. Pins are handicapped according to the caliber. Most of us, and all of the top times, are with rimfires and ATN type sights. I usually run in the low 4 second range per and I use both eyes. My centerfire stuff I choose to use the iron sights and again I find myself shooting both eyes open. By the way, to take the pins off the table cleanly, it requires a high center hit, which to me means some degree of precision. My stance is modified weaver and I shoot cross-eyed--left handed with my right eye.

SJ Hoghunter

Reaction score
FeathersnHoof:

at the range shooting paper at 15 yards I switch between straight and side stance, use dominant eye with open sight. I switch between the a 9mm auto and 45LC revolver.

BTW...took the wife to the range once...she shot the pants off me.

SJ

Top Bottom