• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

AK Penninsula Brown Bear - Spring 2014

bobby7321

Just returned from a simply amazing hunt on the Penninsula with Phil Shoemaker and Grizzly Skins of Alaska. Had one of the best weeks of my life. Booked this hunt a few years ago and it far exceeded my expectations.

Weather was unusually warm. A bit of wind some days, but other than that nothing but clear skies. Made for long sweaty days in chest waiders, but nothing a nice breeze while standing on a mountain top in just your underwear couldn't fix within a couple minutes.

Got my bear on the 2nd day after an awesome stalk. Can't say enough about my guide Wes. I hope to share camp with him again some day. We got to know each other pretty well after having to spend the night out in the bush, rolled up in the bear hide to keep warm. The trek back to camp took us all the next day, and we fought for every damn yard thru the alders and creeks. A hunt that I (and my feet) will definitely never forget. I'll also never forget seeing Rocky run out to meet us with a couple cold beers. Damn near brings a tear to my eye thinking about it :)

I'll definitely be back to visit the Shoemakers. They make you feel like family and run a great operation.

I'm keeping it short and sweet. This is one of those hunts that words and photos don't really do it justice at all, so I really won't even try. Hope you enjoy the photos. I'll post a video when I'm done editing.

Special thanks to Phil, Rocky, Tia, Taj, Wes, and all the other guides and packers. Hope to see you guys again soon.

My bear ended up being a true 9'7" bear (no stretching or creative measuring) and skull is 27 9/16
Very nice hide, just some rubbing on his inner thighs.

5 stars across the board for the Shoemakers and this hunt overall.

JTA6498

That looks awesome. Congratulations. How far out was the bear when you initially spotted him? Looks like big country. When you get some time I would love to hear details on the stalk

bobby7321

Probably 2-3 miles out when we first saw him. Once I get the video done in a few days you'll pretty much see the whole thing unfold.

Land Cruiser

Phil has a world class operation. I am not even sure if there are any more folks with his experience and access to area with record size trophy's Congrats on a great hunt and and awesome specimen.

JTA6498

Awesome video. Some gorgeous country. Congrats on a great hunt. Love how you can barely pick up his head he was so massive

vogel002

Love reading stories about once in a life time hunts working out, congrats on a great experience.

Where's Bruce?

So if ya don't mind my askin'...what's that outfitter/hunt run ya? I seem to be averaging 30K (including tag) with the guides I've contacted.

bobby7321

It was less than that by a good bit. But I had this hunt booked for 3 years, so what I paid wouldn't be of much help. In my research Phil was slightly more than other operators (maybe 2k more from what I remember) but in my opinion well worth it.

Bayboy2020

Congrats on a great hunt and something that is on my bucket list for sure. Great bear and congrats again

Where's Bruce?

It was less than that by a good bit. But I had this hunt booked for 3 years, so what I paid wouldn't be of much help. In my research Phil was slightly more than other operators (maybe 2k more from what I remember) but in my opinion well worth it.
They are probably hitting me with a "risk surcharge" because I wanna use a bow.

Top Bottom