Albacore  now

Fubar

Reaction score
Some friends of mine went out of San Diego on two different private boats. They both found good albacore action around the 390. One boat got a lot of yellowtail off a kelp paddy. The albacore were biting bait and trolled feathers. The bait was anchovies and was in great shape. Now would be a great time to go for the albacore. If you go, give us a report.   Thanx   Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 10:13 am on June 23, 2001)

S

Slamfire

More good news, El Nino is making a comeback. Of course, the guys making the prediction are responsible for global warming, so I don't know if it's true.

BigDog

Reaction score
Fubar, you are making me nuts. I want to get down there and get into Albacore so bad.......

Fubar

Reaction score
Big Dog  I am makin me nuts. I wanna go too.          Fubar

Fubar

Reaction score
Hronk  I hope you catch a whole bunch. By the way you are going right by my house on your wat home so if you have too many I would be glad to help you get rid of some. There is an ice house not far from where I live.                 Fubar

hntndux

Reaction score
I've chartered a boat out of Bodega on the 21st of July so hopefully they're up here by then!

Fubar

Reaction score
hntndux  Sounds like you are an albacore hunter too. Ever fish em there before? When do the usually arive? They are usually bigger fish up there. They are starting to get some in Morro Bay now.             Fubar

hronk

Reaction score
FUBAR:  Your on!  If we have any kind of trip like our last 4 day, you got yourself some fish.  I'll try to get a picture posted of the results of that trip.....hronk

MQ

Reaction score
USAfishing.com this AM sez albies have been taken off Monterey in the last couple days. Yee-haw!

hntndux

Reaction score
fubar, this will be my first time out for them.  I'm always looking for something else to catch or kill.  They should start arriving in about a week or two about 20-25 miles out.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey BigDog.

What's it take to get an albacore trip out of our area?  Is it expensive?  These are usually one day trips, not overnighters, right?

MQ

Reaction score
I usually drive down to either Monterey or Santa Cruz for the albies. Monterey is a little cheaper, but the further drive. Costs about $150 for the trip and the boats leave at 4AM or so and get back as late as 10 pm. All it takes is one good trip and you'll be "hooked".....

hntndux

Reaction score
I might have an opening on my trip for July 21st out of Bodega if anyone may be interested.  I'll know for sure sometime this weekend.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I haven't done a charter trip out here, and have no idea...do you bring your own rod and reel?  What does it take..are you usually casting, or do you troll?  I have a couple of Penn lever drags (GL-25 and GL-45) that I used to use back east on king mackerel and dorado.  Seems like they'd both be adequate.  

I've caught a couple of blackfin tuna and remember what a screaming run those guys make.  I imagine albies are pretty much the same?  

I dunno...it's summer time, and I haven't been in the ocean or on it yet.  My scuba gear is dry-rotting, and my fishing rods haven't been unpacked since my last trip to Florida.  All this talk about big fish is getting me hyped.

BigDog

Reaction score
MQ describes my experience. I went down to Monterey with the wife and some friends and we went out on an all day into the night trip. Unfortunately, there we only 3 fish caught on the whole boat. Picked a bad day.
But, I hear they are a blast to catch and I know they are good eating.
Keep getting the fever Speck and maybe we will get you out on the water....lol

MQ

Reaction score
You can bring your own gear or rent the gear. I prefer my own after a bad experience with rental gear. They use 2 rods for this adventure, one for trolling and one for live bait. The trolling rod should be rigged with 40-50 lb test line and the live bait rod can be set up with 20 to 30 lb test. The live bait rod can be similar to a salmon mooching rod , while the trolling rod is better off being a little stiffer. Some guys use stiff rods and 2-speed reels to winch the fish in as fast as possible so they can get there bait out again faster. I like a lighter rig where I play the fish a little more. Some of the hardcores will bring 6 rods with a different setup for each, but I think thats going a little overboard.

BigDog

Reaction score
Ok guys, you got to stop this. You are getting me ansty. Got me thinking about rigs and what I would need to get..... I have already spent a couple thousand on hunting so far this year and the seasons have not even started.... now you have me thinking about buying fishing gear and trips.....I am putting my fingers in my ears ....or a blindfold over my eyes I guess.

hronk

Reaction score
How about a "Jesses Hunting Forum" Charter out of San Diego  in the summer of "02"  either a 1 1/2 day or two day trip on one of the boats that specialize in Tuna?!! It would be a kick to meet the people we argue with and exchange info with.  Get enough interest and I could call around.  I've done trips from 1 to 4 days for the last 15 yrs and could help with "loaner gear" for the 1st timers.....Think about it.    .....hronk

Fubar

Reaction score
Hronk  That might be fun. I wonder if we could come up with enough people to do it? If anyone else would be interested post here and we will see how mwny we can get.               Fubar

Top Bottom