Alleged deer poachers say they were forced to eat animal’s

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Alleged deer poachers say they were forced to eat animal’s heart, liver

By JEFF BOBO, Kingsport Times-News

ROGERSVILLE Tennessee — A Bean Station man who reportedly poached a deer Sunday evening in the Sandy Valley community near Rogersville and his companion were allegedly forced at gunpoint to eat the deer’s heart and liver by two local men who were offended by the shooting of the deer.

According to a report filed by Hawkins County Sheriff’s Department Deputy James Woods, Brad Long, 25, of Bean Station, and his friend Paul Hurley, no age given, of Morristown, were driving along Sandy Valley Road west of Rogersville when they spotted a deer. Long reportedly shot and killed the deer with his 25-06 caliber Remington rifle.

Woods said Long reported that he was about to drive on, leaving the deer, when a white male Long described as about 6 feet tall and “skinny” with shoulder-length hair stepped into the roadway. The man was armed with what appeared to be a Ruger revolver.

Long and Hurley stopped their vehicle, and the man allegedly pointed his handgun into the car window and demanded that Long and Hurley shut off the car’s engine, give him the keys, and get out of the vehicle. The man then asked why they had shot the deer, and Long apologized for shooting the deer. The man then reportedly took the rifle away from Long.

At that point another man described as looking like a Native American “Indian” by Long and armed with a shotgun then appeared on the scene, and both suspects ordered Long and Hurley to drag the deer back to their vehicle.

“One suspect asked if they wanted to call authorities or take care of the situation ‘the old way,’” Woods said. “Long said he did not want to get into trouble and asked what the old way was. (The two suspects) told Long to gut the deer, and Long and Hurley took bites of the heart and liver.

“After taking a bite of the deer, the suspects threw the keys back to Long. Long and Hurley were told not to come back and to tell their buddies not to come up there.”

Woods said one suspect told Long and Hurley that the area was some sort of “reservation” and refused to give the rifle back to Long. Long and Hurley then left, taking the gutted deer with them.

Long then met with Woods and showed him the location where the alleged incident occurred. Woods found a pool of blood and entrails beside the roadway near a mobile home at 667 Sandy Valley Road.

Woods went to the mobile home with Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency Chris Seay and spoke with two men who met the descriptions given by Long, but neither suspect would confirm or deny Long’s story.

Only the “skinny” man was identified, and the rifle was not recovered, Woods said.

Hawkins County Sheriff Wayne Clevinger said Tuesday that Detective Jeff Greer has been assigned to the case, and if his investigation finds that Long’s story is true, both suspects will be charged with aggravated assault and theft.

Seay is also went to Long’s Bean Station home and looked at the deer, and he is investigating a hunting violation citation for Long, Woods said in his report.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds like a long and convoluted story, and while I don't necessarily condone vigilantism, I can't say these guys didn't have it coming.  

Cheering for the two good guys.

lintongb

Reaction score
I could have thought of a lot worse things to have them eat!  I bet they learned a lesson that day.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Should have got a healthy helping of Rocky Mountain Oysters....RAW!!!
Scott

Fubar

Reaction score
I think reporting them to the proper authorities would be enough.             Fubar

jayber

Reaction score
I agree!  They didn't have to take matters in their own hands.....could have jotted down the license plate number and called it in.

I was standing out in the yard one day and a car drove by......stopped ~200 yards up the road and took a few shots at a deer with a .22.....then drove off.  Now that takes nerve!

Haary

Reaction score
I also believe that the appropriate thing to do was to report the incident and the license number to the local game warden.

I think what did happen was way too bizarre and the guys that did it need to do some jail time.  It reminded me of the movie "Deliverance" and the "squeal like a pig" scene.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 It sounds like a situation that could have gotten way farther out of hand,What if the revolver had went off and one of those boys was killed.
 turn them into the authorities.
 They should not have taken the rifle either,its not thier place to hand out justice,taking the rifle makes them as bad as the boys who shot the deer,thieves any way you cut it.

Hook

Reaction score
I don't think that vigilantism is a good idea. What would of happened if he refused to take a bite if the heart? Would they have shot him??? Now who would be the criminal?
It should have been reported to the proper authorities I think and let them handle it.  

paulc

Reaction score
i cant believe the poachers even reported it... i hope they are prosecuting the poachers.

MSDeerHunter

Reaction score
Though I don't agree with either party, I bet they won't poach deer anymore. Hey Haary, if your skeered say your skeered. You don't poach us good ole boy's livelyhood and get away with it.:shoot-aqua:

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I really don't see any problem with what happened.  The local boys gave the poachers a choice and everything worked out just fine.  That is, until the authorities got involved.

City folk just will never understand the "law of the land" back in those hills of the Vounteer State.  Things seem to work just fine until some city boy comes along and screws thigs up.

Perkster

Reaction score
I do like the fact that they got a choice, though keeping the rfile was wrong. I can see the trepidation in returning a weapon to someone you had just humiliated, but they could have done something to protect themselves without stealing.

Still, I don't find much sympathy in my heart for poachers.

Good story tho'

-Perk

Don Tibbetts

Reaction score
I really don't see any problem with this except that they shouldn't have held them at gunpoint and they shouldn't have kept the rifle.  Around here the authorities would've written a report and forgot about it if you just called them.  Those clowns had a choice and they knew they were wrong for what they did in the first place.  Hopefully they learned their lesson.  
Rules and laws are for when common sense breaks down.

Top Bottom